Tub Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Jakehale

Reaction score
Hello Folks,,, got another stumper here (for me) Working on the old bathroom remodle..

Having a little problem with my tub drain. I am replacing my tub and after I disconnected everything and got the tub out of the way I went to remove the overflow and drain assembly from the floor (Slab), well to my surprise, it just popped off, no tools required. Leading to my problem. As you have already figured the whole tube was rotted through. What I see now is a hole in my slab, and in the bottom of that hole I have a fitting that goes down into the ground with more concret around it. I have tried to screw in another pipe but it no worky. I am thinking the threads are corroded so bad nothing will bit or that some of the threads from the overflow and drain valve are stuck in there. I have used a wire brush and ran around the threads that I see, but the pipe still wont start.

Any Ideals? I am not a plumber and I dont have one of those huge tap and die sets. I am open for any kind of help and gladly accept them all! If my only resort is to call in the pro's anyone got a ideal at what I would be looking at for a posible repair and more inportantly $$$$$$.

thanks
Jake

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

No way to tell, because there are several points where the pipe could have broken off, and each one is a different thread with a different method of removal.

Jakehale

Reaction score
hj said:
No way to tell, because there are several points where the pipe could have broken off, and each one is a different thread with a different method of removal.

Well this broke off right at the end of the Overflow and drain setup, as it enters the fitting in the floor.

The Problem

What your looking at there is the hole in the slap and the drain in the bottom. I have refered to it as a fitting a couple time. But basically what you see is where the overflow and drain valve broke off at.

Hope this helps

Thanks
Jake

phxrt

Reaction score
Jake,

I am replacing a tub as well and am facing a similar issue. What did you end up doing? Did you have a to call a plumber? Jackhammer out the p-trap?

Richard

Jakehale

Reaction score
phxrt said:
Jake,

I am replacing a tub as well and am facing a similar issue. What did you end up doing? Did you have a to call a plumber? Jackhammer out the p-trap?

Richard

I ended up knocking the slab out a little bit (about 2 more inches, and ran a piece of PVC into the and then hooked everything up,,,, i did (oh my) put some silicone around where the PVC goes into the drain just as a precaution.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks