Toto toilet clog

Users who are viewing this thread

dennie

Reaction score
I have just installed two new Toto Toilets model Drake CST744S elongated .I had read a great deal about these units. My old low flush I had to constantly plunge.
I used the toilet for the First time and it clogged just like my old unit. What a disappointment!

My plumber came out and we used a plunger to dislodge the debris. We then called Toto ( they were very helpfull) and we went thru a series of tests and they even listened to the toilet flush on the phone. We ruled out any issues with the toilet.We flushed large amounts of two ply toilet paper down the drain and it never clogged again and this also indicated that the wax seaal was not obstructing the drain. Toto did say that their toiloets can clog from time to time.
There suggestion is to install different flappers on both units that will close slower allowing more water to leave the tank. They are sending me the flappers. The Toto tech has the same units as me and installed these on his.

The plumber will do this but said he was not aware that Toto had different flappers and these are the only toilets they sell. I should also point out that the plumber will replace this unit if I want .

I have some questions.

1. Has anyone had this problem and heard about these optional flappers?

2. Water level in the bowls. The water level in on of the bowls is higher.The one that clogged has lower level. The difference in depth is a full inch or about a half gallon of water. When you pour water into the lower level bowl
it will drain out to its prior level. I believe this is how the trap is set? Can two identical bowls have different trap settings that regulate the water level?
3. One last piece of information. When you flush the toilet that clogged .Once the tank fills I can hear the water in the bowl leaking out to the lower level.There is no water leaking on the floor. The other Toto with the higher water level once the tank fills no water runs out of the bowl. What would cause the water about one half gallon to drop in one and not the other?
Does the water level in the bowl for this model have any bearing on how well it will flush. Could this be the problem

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
inside_tank_cst744s.jpg

Floor level can make a difference.
If the front of the bowl is higher, there will be less water in the bowl.

The red flapper lets out less water than the blue flapper.

And yes, any toilet can be plugged. They always have been able to.
That's why most homes have had plungers over the years.

A well designed toilet will reduce that, but not eliminate it.
It can depend on use too. For some reason, I've been in homes where I don't keep a plunger in the home, and can have huge parties without problems, (200 plus people)
I don't have Charmin Ultra 2-ply in the house though.

You can also hold the handle down a bit longer to drop more water.

Last edited:

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If you are hearing what sounds like a leak during a clog, it is a good indication, if the bowl is over filled, that the clog is located from the wax seal back into the toilet.

Some people are just better at occasionally clogging a toilet than others. We have Toto's, on a rare occasion when one gets clogged, my wife takes the award. For a little gal I don't know how she does it. I'm not about to be the one to tell her what she may be full of...

You will probably find that the additional flush water helps a lot.

Paul

Last edited:

dennie

Reaction score
Toto clog

Thanks for the replies. Terry I have some follow up questions.

I currently have the red flapper. I presume that Toto is mailing me the blue flapper which they indicate closes slower thus letting more water out of the Tank to help the flushing action.

Does the amount of water in the bowl have any significant impact on the flushing results or because this is a G-max the critical flush capacity is dictated by the water leaving the tank. The length and width of the water in the tilted bowl is 8x6 inches and the level bowl is 10x8 inches.I hope not as there is little I can do structurally and my plumber stated he can not raise the back without breaking the seal.

My toto in question is not balanced 100% and the bowl is a little more than 2/8 inches
higher in the front. I presume this is the reason I hear water draing out as the bow.Thel fill is set to the standard amount and the syphon is a titled back a little thus the water is seeking a new level to the syphon height due to the uneveness

I am a new member and want to pass on my compliments . This is a very helpfull web site. Thanks for all the prompt answers.

dennie

Reaction score
Toto Clog

Fllow up to my last post . The tilt is not 2/8 but about 1/8 of an inch

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks