Shower Valve Recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike SINY

Reaction score
I am about to renovate our bathroom. Since the walls are coming down I want to replace the shower/tub valve inside the wall with something that will take a lot of abuse (six showers a day) and when needed will be simple to repair. The builder has recommended Grohe and the plumbing supplier has recommended Koehler.

Any thoughts on a solid, reliable fixture?
What about ceramic valves?

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Depending on your wallet Moen and Delta make good valves also.

I would go with a Moen or Delta due to ease of finding repair parts when the time comes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

I prefer and recommend the Delta 1700 series valve. With it you can preset the temperature with a small handle and the volume with the large one. Kohler, and most Grohe, run full flow once you turn them on, and all you can adjust with the handle is the temperature, unless you buy an expensive thermostatic valve.

Mike SINY

Reaction score
Since we are re-doing the entire room, the cost of the valve isn't an issue; the durability and repairability are my biggest concerns

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Delta 1700

the DELTA 1700 valve will cost you about 125.00

IT IS LITERALLY THE ABSOLUTE BEST YOU CAN BUY.........

NOTHING IS BETTER> no matter what you feel like paying......

and will last forever.......and the parts are very easy to

change out and make new again in 25 years too.

NOW If you like I will sell you a 1700 valve for $600
and guarantee it for life.... if money is no object....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com

And if you were to get the new 1700 with the universal body, next year you could convert it to a thermostatically controlled one when it is available.

JCH

Reaction score
hj said:
And if you were to get the new 1700 with the universal body, next year you could convert it to a thermostatically controlled one when it is available.
Just checking in to see whether the Delta 1700 shower sets sold now are *all* the "universal body" style. Or are some not upgradeable to Thermostatic?

Anyone know?

Thanks!
.../j

Prashster

Reaction score
When I did the same research yr doing last year for my reno, I got the same strong recommendations for the Delta 1700. FWIW, I'm happy with it.

One caveat: I got the standard trim. The pressure lever is hefty and solid, but the temperature control for that trim feels a little chinsy (it's plastic). I don't regret the decision but next time, I'd prefer to check out the trim in person b4 buying something from a catalog or online.

Last edited:

JCH

Reaction score
prashster said:
One caveat: I got the standard trim. The pressure lever is hefty and solid, but the temperature control for that trim feels a little chinsy (it's plastic). I don't regret the decision but next time, I'd prefer to check out the trim in person b4 buying something from a catalog or online.
They only had one 1700 model in the store I was in, and the *spout* was really plastic-y...

Are *any* of the 1700 series mostly metal anymore??

.../j

Prashster

Reaction score
The shower head was plenty hefty and solid for me. I didn't find it objectionable. Just the temp control lever on the valve trim.

JCH

Reaction score
hj said:
Some companies may still have some old stock, but the t'static insert might fit the old 1700 body.
Thanks.

Is the Thermostatic faster (or slower?) to react to changes in hot/cold water pressure changes (say, when someone flushes a toilet or when the washing machine is spraying during its spin cycle)?

Is it that you can set your favorite shower temperature and it'll be the same all year long, regardless of the cold water temperature changing from summer to winter?

i.e. In your opinion, what is the main advantage of the thermostatic version over the pressure-balanced version?

Thanks!
.../j

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Grohe thermostatic valve claims to produce the exact tempature you set it at in 1/10 of a second.
Pressure balanced valves will reduce the water flow equal to what is being used ie: if you flush a toilet the cold water is used and the valve will reduce the hot water really giving you no water until the cold stops being used.

Pressure balance is fine if you want to control say a shower head and spout, but if you want to control shower head , spout , body sprays, handshower... and all at the same time you can only do that with a thermostatic control valve and volume controls.

JCH

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

I was looking in the Delta catalogue, and they list *two* different styles of Thermostatic controls.

One has a "screwdriver stops"(?) designation... ???? Does that mean that in that version, you can set a "don't exceed this high-temperature limit" and the other version of Thermostatic you can't?

Or does it mean something else?

Thanks!
.../j

Lancaster

Reaction score
When they call out "screwdriver stops" they are saying that the faucet has stops that shut off the cold and hot supplies to the faucet.This allows one to work on the innards without shutting off the house water supply.The usual shower valve installation does not have separate shutoff valves like a lav or kitchen faucet would have.

JCH

Reaction score
Lancaster said:
When they call out "screwdriver stops" they are saying that the faucet has stops that shut off the cold and hot supplies to the faucet.This allows one to work on the innards without shutting off the house water supply.The usual shower valve installation does not have separate shutoff valves like a lav or kitchen faucet would have.
So that's how they do it.... thanks!

.../j

JCH

Reaction score
hj said:
The spout may be plasticy but it is still the best spout in my opinion.
Interesting. In the store, the diverter valve (this Delta spout had a chromed plastic collar underneath the spout opening) seemed pretty rattle-y. Was concerned that it might de-chrome over time or snap.

Would you recommend the press-on? or threaded spout? I plan on using copper pipe.

Thanks!
.../j

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks