New help priming

Users who are viewing this thread

sebs

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Not sure if I need to prime my pump? I cannot get water. We were putting a bit of water in the pool and forgot about it for 2 hours :eek: There's water in the well, so I am not sure if we ran out and it filled back in since the pump wasn't pumping water anymore or maybe there's just something wrong with some valve at the bottom of the well ?

It's my first house and I never had to deal with this yet, I plan on buying a new pump soon, just not right now. It's a Northern.

How do I prime it ? If I remove the ose from the pump that send the water in the tank, I see water in the pipe, so I can't really fill it up with water.

Anyway, any kind of help is greatly appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This is a guess, one of the guys who deals with pumps on a regular basis my disagree...

You may have run the well down below the inlet to the pump. Then the pump would continue to run and potentially burn out. The pumps use the water to cool them (and some use it in the bearings), so if no water, no cooling...disaster. Priming may not help...

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I assume that you have a jet pump. Submersible pumps don't require priming.

You need to find a way to pour some water into the pump. That may involve opening a valve or removing a plug on the top of the pump. Pour in as much water as it will take. Give it time to drain down and keep filling until it won't take any more. Then close the valve down almost shut, or put the plug in but leave it loose a little bit so you can let air out.

Now start the pump. Open the valve a bit to let air out. If you are successful, then the air will all escape and pressure will build up. Then you are in business.

If it is a deep well jet then it will probably be more difficult.

Since you have a pool, and presumably a pump of some sort, and it's your well and water, here is a way that might be more certain. If you can connect a hose from your pool pump to the suction side of the pump and run pool water through the pump, it will prime very quickly. Start the pump after you get the pool water flowing from the inlet side to the outlet side through that discharge valve that I mentioned above.

Shut the water off in the house and plan to dump the water back into the pool for a while. Then run the water in your house to clean the pool water out of the system.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I think Bob meant add water to the discharge side of your pump, not the suction. You never add fittings to the suction line. It just makes for more air leaks which greatly hinder priming.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks