smells like Urine but no little boys in the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Lea

Reaction score
My sister has a 1960's home and all the bathrooms were recently remodeled before she moved in with all new fixtures and new tile. The strangest thing is that the down stairs bathroom which is only used by guest smells like urine. Not the typical sewer smell but pee. No little boys or dogs use this bathroom. One guest said the smell reminded him of mold. We can not figure where this smell is coming from. It is a pier and beam home with a crawl space underneath and there is another bathroom directly above this bathroom on the 2nd floor. Would a small leak behind the wall create this smell?

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Did you chxk the seal on the toylet?
Sometimes the wax is bad.
If the wax is sufficient, there should be no sewer gas. I like to feel the wax squishing down as I push the toilet down. Or it could be a crack in the toylet that allows gas to escape. Or it could be a mouse loose in the walls and ceiling peeing all over and smelling it up that way too. I've seen it man! I had to tear apart the walls, just ripped them down to get to that bad smell. Rip, rip rip! I painted over the urine with Zerolac, a white lacquer that covers over smells. They use it for fire restorations. I hated those mieces to pieces!
the Mad Plumber

Lea

Reaction score
Wow, thank you Mad Plumber. I discussed your suggestion of a possible mouse problem with my sister and you guessed it! She has just recently discovered a mouse problem in her upstairs attic. They must be hanging out in the walls of this bathroom. Thanks so much for your suggestion. Now she needs to catch the little suckers and block their access into the house.

This forum is great. It helped me select and install a new toilet, move plumbing lines. Now, it has educated me on how to identify the smell of mouse pee! Thanks so much!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks