(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Drainage Industries 2" in-line check valve

Default Drainage Industries 2" in-line check valve

I am replacing my existing sump pump with a sewage pump (I need the greater pumping capacity). Although the pump will be processing ground water (no waste) I want to install the check valve horizontally. That way, if it picks up a piece of gravel or something it will not jam the valve.

My question is, can I install a Drainage Industries (DI) 2" full flow in-line check valve horizontally? The current valve is installed vertically. I bought the valve from ******* & it did not come with any info.

Default valve

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGray
    I am replacing my existing sump pump with a sewage pump (I need the greater pumping capacity). Although the pump will be processing ground water (no waste) I want to install the check valve horizontally. That way, if it picks up a piece of gravel or something it will not jam the valve.

My question is, can I install a Drainage Industries (DI) 2" full flow in-line check valve horizontally? The current valve is installed vertically. I bought the valve from ******* & it did not come with any info.
    A piece of gravel should not jam the valve no matter what its orientation is. But since it is full flow, it must be a swing type check valve, and if so, then it can be horizontal as long as the hinge is on the top.

Quote Originally Posted by hj
    A piece of gravel should not jam the valve no matter what its orientation is. But since it is full flow, it must be a swing type check valve, and if so, then it can be horizontal as long as the hinge is on the top.
    Great, I appreciate the response. It is indeed a swing type check valve. The manufacturer of the sewage pump recommends a horizontal installation, so I will go with that orientation and ensure that the hinge is on top.

Default Free flow vs. Full flow check valve

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGray
    Great, I appreciate the response. It is indeed a swing type check valve. The manufacturer of the sewage pump recommends a horizontal installation, so I will go with that orientation and ensure that the hinge is on top.
    One quick followup question. Is there a difference between a free flow check valve and a full flow check valve. My installation instructions call for a free flow valve - I am assuming I can use a full flow in-line check valve?