Drain length and hot water in toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

paulhar

Reaction score
I have two questions:
1) I have a 2†tub drain that runs 6.5 feet into a 3†wye from a toilet. The two descend at 45 degrees, 18 inches to the stack.
Since I gone up one size from a 1.5 " tub drain, am I allowed longer than 60 inches for this drain?

2 – My local bath supplier has sold me 2- ¾ inch shut off valves in order to connect the water supply to a ½ tub spout. The reason for this is that we want to use the same trim handles as the rest of the bathroom and we don’t want to use a shower valve for our wall mount tub spout (ugly). We have the plumber’s opinion that this cannot be done. That if we flush the toilet we can end up with back flow of hot water into the toilet. Our local bath shop that sold the valve – says that this cannot happen and that before modern mixers existed that this is the way all bath tubs were connected.

Can I hook it up without backflow protection in the valve??

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
paulhar said:
I have two questions:
1) I have a 2†tub drain that runs 6.5 feet into a 3†wye from a toilet. The two descend at 45 degrees, 18 inches to the stack.
Since I gone up one size from a 1.5 " tub drain, am I allowed longer than 60 inches for this drain?
I think so, but someone else will definately know.
paulhar said:
2 – My local bath supplier has sold me 2- ¾ inch shut off valves in order to connect the water supply to a ½ tub spout. The reason for this is that we want to use the same trim handles as the rest of the bathroom and we don’t want to use a shower valve for our wall mount tub spout (ugly). We have the plumber’s opinion that this cannot be done. That if we flush the toilet we can end up with back flow of hot water into the toilet. Our local bath shop that sold the valve – says that this cannot happen and that before modern mixers existed that this is the way all bath tubs were connected.

Can I hook it up without backflow protection in the valve??

I don't see why this would be a problem. You're connecting your supplies to a shutoff and then joining together for the tub spout. Isn't that how old sinks were installed back in the day too? If your tub spout hangs down below the water level, that could be a problem.

Maybe if you put yuor toe in the tub spout while it's filling w/ hot and cold running and someone flushes the toilet you COULD get some mixing, but that's hightly unlikely. Ever see that I Love Lucy episode where she gets her toe stuck in the Hotel's Tub's Spout? :p

Jason

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
UPC plumbing codes allows 60" for a 2" trap arm

And 42" for a 1.5" trap arm.

If the tub has a shower with it, it needs to be pressure balanced, they do sell seperate balancing units to work with two handles.

If it's a tub only, then the two handles will be fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks