Flapper Chain driving me insane

Users who are viewing this thread

Gouranga

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Alright, this is simple but it is not. I have a toilet that is driving me insane. It did this with the original parts, continues to do it with the replacement kit. What happens is about 50% of the time when this thing flushes, the plastic chain that runs from the arm to the top of the flapper gets twisted, or stuck on the top of the little float on top of the flapper and the flapper does not fall all the way down to seal after a flush. So you end up having to wiggle the handle until the chain unbinds and the flapper falls down so the tank can refill. I have gone through 3 chains hoping and praying this will stop. No luck. This is so simple yet for some reason an obvious solution has not presented itself. So I ask you short of blasting this thing with my 12 gauge, anyone have any solutions for this one?

korky-float-style-02.jpg

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
B4 we start what Brand and Model is the toilet. That may help us a lot.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First thing to do if you haven't already is adjust the length of the chain so there is the bare minimum of slack and see if that helps any. Sometimes, the arm has more than one hole in it to attach the chain, try one of the other ones to see if that helps.

A real kludge might be to replace the chain with some heavy duty fishing line.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
To add to what Jim said, If the handle arm is metal sometimes you can bend the handles arm away from the flapper so the chain doesn't catch itself.

Or maybe you should replace the flapper with a Korkey flapper and take up the slack......also maybe replace the plastic handle with one that has a bendable arm.....so it could be adjusted......

toilet-repair-munoz.jpg

Gouranga

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Cass said:
B4 we start what Brand and Model is the toilet. That may help us a lot.
It is a gerber brand not sure of the model. Actually, that fishing line sounds awesome. Should hold up in the water, and should never do what this chain is doing. Maybe I will give that a try.

Gouranga

Software Engineer
Reaction score
jadnashua said:
First thing to do if you haven't already is adjust the length of the chain so there is the bare minimum of slack and see if that helps any. Sometimes, the arm has more than one hole in it to attach the chain, try one of the other ones to see if that helps.

A real kludge might be to replace the chain with some heavy duty fishing line.

Hey jadnashua, thought you would happy to know.This has worked awesome for my toilet, after I told some folks about it, right now 3 people at work and my grandfather all have 20 lbs test, tripled over in their toilets which apparently were doing the exact same thing. As I thought, the solution would be so simple, I would never think of it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks