Toilet Stop Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

mrtigre

Reaction score
I have a toilet in the guest bathroom that has a stuck stop valve. Besides replacing it, is there anything I can try to allow it to work again? If I have to replace the valve, how would you reccomend I do so? finally, is there any way I can see a the component parts of a stop valve?
I am rather new in this area of home repair. Any help on these issues would greatly be appreciated.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The stop valve is under the toilet where the water supply comes through the wall. The fill valve is the part in the toilet that fills the tank and shuts off. Do you mean the fill valve?

mrtigre

Reaction score
stop valve

Hello Cass;
I am sure it's the stop valve. It is the part that extends from the wall behind the toilet. It shuts the water off to the toilet. I cannot shut off the water at this stop valve in order to work on the toilet. I have to shut it off at the main valve at th meter

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You need to determine if it is soldered on screwed/threaded on or a compression fitting. If it is screwed on you can unscrew it and screw on a new one, if it is compression fitting you can buy another and replace it with the new one, the old one will just pull off after you unscrew the compression nut. If it is soldered you need to unsolder it and you can solder on a new one or heat and clean the pipe with a rag and replace it with a compression stop.

Spokaneman

Reaction score
If its a compression fitting, its an easy replace, just don't put a big wrench on the compression nut without supporting the valve itself with another wrench, you can break the pipe, which is a big mess.

When you replace it, replace it with a quarter turn valve if you can find one. They are much less suceptable to seizing and leaking.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When a stop valve goes bad, it's just bad.

They part don't cost much to replace, it's the time involved to do the job.
But if you are spending the time, then a new one should be installed.
New parts aren't going to fit with the old anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks