3" flue for water heater failed inspection

Users who are viewing this thread

plumbernj

In the Trades
Reaction score
Original tank... a 40 gallon nat gas Bradford water heater with a 3" flue.

Did a replacement with another 40 gal gas 3" flue, same 40,000 btu output...and it failed inspection because the inspector now wants a 4" flue to the chimney.
Can soneone point me the the gas or mechanical code so this doesn't happen to me again?

In NJ.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Most codes are based on, or invoke, the National Fuel Gas Code. A 3" flue for a 40,000 BTU WH would be typical in most installations. The WH manufacturer probably specifies a 3" but also refers to the above code. You said you are venting into a chimney, and so some combination of factors here is adding up to him wanting a 4" . He should be willing to explain.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
3 inch hood vent

its interesting that they throw such a hissey fit over this....

especially when the hood of the water heater actually
comes off at 3 inch..anyway...........

even if you increase it to 4 above the hood vent ,
whats the benefit??? since its already been restriceted?

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
simple test

turn the water heater up all the way so burner comes on.
now take a butane gas log lighter or match and run the flame above the bonnet opening below flue. flame drawn in, good flame blown out bad. also run any additional appliances on the chimney at the same time.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
toolaholic said:
now take a butane gas log lighter or match and run the flame above the bonnet opening below flue. flame drawn in, good flame blown out bad. also run any additional appliances on the chimney at the same time.

This test, even if it turns out O.K., most likely, won't change the inspectors mind.

Did you install it your self or did a plumber do it. If you pulled the permit and did it your self the inspector is just giving you a hard time because he doesn't like DIYers. Thats my guess.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Cass said:
toolaholic said:
This test, even if it turns out O.K., most likely, won't change the inspectors mind.

Did you install it your self or did a plumber do it. If you pulled the permit and did it your self the inspector is just giving you a hard time because he doesn't like DIYers. Thats my guess.

You'd also want to close all windows and doors, turn on the dryer, range vent, bathroom vent, etc and all other normal air discharge points in the house.

Jason

plumbernj

In the Trades
Reaction score
No, we are a plumbing company. This happenned in Barrington, NJ.

Oh, and we had to get a permit. Homeowner wanted one.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since you are in a business where you probably must work with this inspector on a regular basis, you sure don't want to get on his bad side. I do think it would be fair for you to ask him what code he applied. Perhaps approaching him with a positive attitude explaining that you need to know so that you don't have a similar problem in the future. If you were to confront him in a manner that would put him on the defensive, you would get no where.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
permits are a pain and unfair

it really pisses me off that Lowes, Home Depot, ******* ect

can sell you a water heater and let you do it yourself wether you know

what you are doing or not......

without you having to obtain any kind of permit what-so -ever and get away with it

But a plumber who KNOWS what they are doing gets a permit and look at all

the petty greif that comes your way..........

brianj

Reaction score
master plumber mark said:
it really pisses me off that Lowes, Home Depot, ******* ect

can sell you a water heater and let you do it yourself wether you know

what you are doing or not......

without you having to obtain any kind of permit what-so -ever and get away with it

But a plumber who KNOWS what they are doing gets a permit and look at all

the petty greif that comes your way..........

The plumber who installed mine didn't pull a permit. Neither did the guys who did the roof. As bassakward as this City is, I understand why they don't bother though...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

Lakee911 said:
You'd also want to close all windows and doors, turn on the dryer, range vent, bathroom vent, etc and all other normal air discharge points in the house.

Jason
And how would a 4" flue instead of a 3" make any differnce in all that?

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
this simple test was done by a factory service rep

years ago. i had just installed a new w. h. ,75 gal a.o. smith and it wouldn't lite off. i believe he replaced the burner assembly. the old 3" chimney wasen't large enough. i installed a 4 " right away. the flame moved away from the chimney. If you read my post ,you'll see I never stated this a fix
for a new jersey inspector. My brother in law built his home there. the insp was a flamming a hole. I would have put his face on a milk carton :rolleyes:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks