Double kitchen sink drain question

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveOr

Reaction score
I just had my double kitchen sink replaced and now have to reconnect the drain. My plumbing experience is limited to replacing traps, replacing faucets, and replacing faucet innards plus I have never worked with PVC or ABS.

The previous sink had identical side by side basins draining into a 1 1/2" brass T connection that lead to the trap that lead to a horizontal 1 1/2" galvanized pipe (it is at about a 45 degree angle from the wall to the center of the sink) connected to the main cast iron drain in the wall. The new sink has a deeper basin on one side with a drain closer to the wall than the original.

My plan: The galvanized pipe leads past the new drains so I either have to unscrew it out and replace it with a shorter one (probably not going to happen) or just cut it. I figure I could connect the cut galvanized to a PVC or ABS trap via a no-hub connector.

My problem: The one new drain is lower and close to the galvanized pipe. I have only about 2 1/2" from the threaded connector on the bottom of the drain to the mid point of the galvanized drain pipe into the wall. In that 2 1/2", from top to bottom, I need to fit a screw on connection to the drain above, connect to a T for the other drain and a connection to the new trap. The traps at my local Home Depot seem to need more room. I have a plumber coming in two days if I can't do this myself. Does PVC and ABS provide a means to make such a connection within 2 1/2"?

Attachments

• Sink1.jpg
    Sink1.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 593
  • Sink2.jpg
    Sink2.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 736
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They do make shallower baskets that will give you more space to connect with.
Also reversing p-traps are an option. If you glue up the fittings, that also takes less distance than using tubular fittings.
A shielded coupling or no-hub will go between galvanized and plastic ABS or PVC. I would have been nice before the sink was dropped in to replace the galvanized nipple from the wall. Often it takes a large pipe wrench and a lot of leverage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks