Smell in well water

Users who are viewing this thread

DarylF08

Mec. Elect. Engineer
Reaction score
Both my neighbors have a smell in the well water, I do not but don't want it.
What is normal preventive maint.? Also, what is best best way to shock a well? My neighbor poured 10 gal of bleach down the well cap, let it sit for 24 hrs and then flushed the water for 8 hrs. This does not seem OK to me.
The other neighbor said if you take something off your hot water heater, this will prevent it. Never heard that one. Can someone give me a clue. Thanks.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
DarylF08 said:
Both my neighbors have a smell in the well water, I do not but don't want it.
What is normal preventive maint.? Also, what is best best way to shock a well? My neighbor poured 10 gal of bleach down the well cap, let it sit for 24 hrs and then flushed the water for 8 hrs. This does not seem OK to me.
The other neighbor said if you take something off your hot water heater, this will prevent it. Never heard that one. Can someone give me a clue. Thanks.

Smelly water, or rotten egg odor, is hydrogen sulfide gas that is present in the water. Water heaters with a magnesium anode rode are another common cause of this odor, especially in houses where little water is used. I'm not sure what in the water reacts with the magnesium. The magnesium rod can be replaced with an aluminum one, or removed completely (but probably not a good idea). Then flush your system, especially your water heater. Chlorine can kill the sulfur bacteria which is why your neighbor poured that down the well. Municialities typically add chlorine with some residual left that will typically take care of any of this, but you're on a well so you're on your own.

Jason

Speedbump

Reaction score
Your neighbor poured a bit too much chlorine in his well. If he didn't chase it with about 1-5 gallons of water to wash the chlorine off the casing, pipes and wire, he may be having some serious problems in the near future.

It always amazed me what some folks will pour into a well, without knowing a thing about what they are doing.

If the smell is in the hot water only it is as Jason said, if it's in the cold, it's sulphur in the well water.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks