Hot Water Recirculation

Users who are viewing this thread

bross123

Reaction score
Hi,

I need some advice on:

1. Pump size and a good manufacturer/model
2. Return pipe size and type of pipe (will pvc do OK?)
3. Is pipe insulation required

This is for a residential hot water recirculation system which has copper pipes.

I have 3 bathrooms, the farthest is about 70 feet from the Hot Water heater. I would like to run a recirculation system to save water and to get the hot water faster.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hot water

1. almost any pump will work.
2. ANYTHING but PVC. It will get soft and burst when it gets hot.
3. insulatiing the lines will help reduce your power bills and add to the life of the water heater.

bross123

Reaction score
hj,

Thanks for the info on the PVC pipe. What size pipe and pump do you think I should install?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your return line should probablly be the same size as the supply line. On the pump, make sure you get a bronze one (costs a lot more than the steel/cast iron), as it is required for potable water applications. My guess is that a TACO 007 would be sufficient. YOu could check out tacohvac.com web site and see what they use in their kit called D'Mand, then make your own choice. Note, I'm not a pro...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hot water

A stainless steel case pump will probably be cheaper than a brass one, unless you can find one of the small brass ones. The pump size is immaterial since you just want to keep water moving and a larger pump could create a high velocity which could cause pipe erosion. All you need is a 1/2" return line, but be sure to install a check valve after the pump before you connect back to the water heater.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Taco makes a circulator with a built-in check valve (it's relatively new). One less thing to install. Not sure if it is available in brass or stainless, though. Check their website tacohvac.com

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
check valve

Check valves eventually fail, you do not want to have to replace the entire pump when it happens. Install a regular pump and a separate check valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks