(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: bath addition

Default bath addition

We are converting a small bedroom into a master bathroom. Under this room is crawl space. We have dug to the sew main and water main. The sewer main is tile, we want to use pvc on our plumbing. What is the easiest way to tie into this tile sewer main?

Default connection

You have to cut a section of the clay out and put in a fitting. If you do not have the proper tools to cut the pipe, then there is no "easy" way.

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney LonnythePlumber's Avatar

Cool Vent

I thought that clay was never used under a structure but I presume I'm wrong. Don't forget that you need venting for your bathroom. There are rubber clamps made to connect clay to plastic piping. Cutting through clay can be a problem. There is a rubber donut available that will allow you to insert the plastic into the clay hub.

Default clay

Up until about the 40's it was installed under the basement floors. After that it was used in crawl spaces as long as it was not cemented over. Cast iron to the exterior of the building was also done during that period. Plastic, of course, came later.

Default vent

Quote Originally Posted by LonnythePlumber
    I thought that clay was never used under a structure but I presume I'm wrong. Don't forget that you need venting for your bathroom. There are rubber clamps made to connect clay to plastic piping. Cutting through clay can be a problem. There is a rubber donut available that will allow you to insert the plastic into the clay hub.
    Thank You for the information, I think that will work just fine. Do you know the codes for ventilation on the sewer?

Default vent

Basically the code says every fixture has to be vented, not ventilated. How you will do that in your design depends entirely on where the various fixtures are located, how they are oriented relative to the various walls, and whether there are intervening doorways between them, as some examples of details that will affect how the drainage system, and, more important, how the vents are installed.