basement floor drain backing up w/ upstairs washer

Users who are viewing this thread

DLI Homeowner

Reaction score
Thanks for all the good information posted on this site...

I will try to keep this concise. House built circa 1971, Long story short, boiler pipe had a leak under concrete slab in basement, unknown to anyone it would appear, despite 2-3 yr old boiler install without pressure check!?. Needless to say we tore out entire finished basement/slab because of the leak but also due to a lot of heaving of slab due to "expansive soil" in our area, which is more likely moisture from the leak. ALL plumbing was replaced in basement with new PVC. We lowered slab 4 inches to increase ceiling height which slightly reduced our flow grade, all other appliances drain fine. There is also a toilet and shower drain in basement.

Now to the point: floor drain backing up when running mdm and full washer loads. Sewer lines were videoed and no major findings. The washer and dryer are currently on the main floor/upstairs and the 2" drain line drops approx 7 feet down into the utility room, then under the slab and travels 2 feet where the new floor drain connects, and continues on for another 3-4 feet where it dumps into 3" rough-in drain line for w/d, then travels 5-6 feet to main 4" line, then travels 10-12 feet to the outside of the house. Prior to tear out, there was a floor drain in the center of the utility room that connected farther down the line. As far as we know there was no backing up. Larger loads and more soap make things worse. I think the floor drain was connected too close to the upstairs vertical washer drain line. what is the code for the floor drain distance from a vertical drain line?? Plumber wants to install check ball, not guranteed to work 100% and still wouldn't stop suds... please help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks