3 Handle Shower Faucet Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

GoDillos

Reaction score
I have an old shower faucet that is driving me nuts. It is a 3 handle shower/tub combo. I have no idea how old it is. It literally could be orginial with the house (1950s) through about 5 years ago.

The hot and cold valves are turned on by turning the handles .... and turning and turning and turning. Is there any way to replace these with something of a 1/4 turn variety without ripping up the wall?

Thanks

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Not that I know of.

If you replace the stems and seats they should work a lot better.

If you want.
I will get you an e mail address tomorrow that you can mail a digital photo of the stems to and they will match them, let you pay by CC, and then ship them to you. They will also know which seats it takes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

If you are lucky enough to have a PricePfister tub valve, then it can be changed to a 1/4 turn ceramic disc version without opening the wall.

GoDillos

Reaction score
That's awesome. I hope it is a PricePfister. At the least, I think I'm going to rebuild it since it is starting to leak a little. How do I figure out what brand it is?

shower.jPG

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
May be a "Sterling" . Look on those push on buttons on the center of those handles......

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
GoDillos said:
That's awesome. I hope it is a PricePfister. At the least, I think I'm going to rebuild it since it is starting to leak a little. How do I figure out what brand it is?

shower.jPG

My mom has the EXACT same set up on her tub/shower. On the back side of one of the handles, it has "Eljer" cast into it, and in a place where you cannot see easily with the handle attached to the valve. Also had "Eljer" cast into the threaded rings that hold the trim cones onto the three valve stems. We had to replace one of the handles several years ago, and luckily an old time plumber had one as nos, in box. He said that hers was from the mid 50's to early 60's era. Hope this helps some.
Rob

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Then " Eljer" it is..............It looks very good for a 40-50 year old faucet.

Unless there other reasons, I would try to repair it.........

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks