Natural gas outlet for BBQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I just bought a Weber Natural Gas barbecue. I need a 15-foot flexible hose to connect it to my natural gas outlet across my yard. HELP!!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Check with a deal to see if they have a flex hose that long. Is it possible to run a pipe to the location? When I install my gas BBQ, I put two outlets, one under a breezeway and the other in the open. However, I was able to run the pipe under my deck so all I need for hose is the 12' length that came with the unit. I would presume it would be possible to have a hose made up with the quick couplers. The gas company might have some ideas also.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I was just thinking about doing this while I have access to the backyard in my not yet finished kitchen remodel.

I would run black iron pipe and use flex for only a short distance. Sure it makes you less flexible in placement (ha! get it?) but I bet its more durable. My local Ace had all kinds of lengths of flex pipe. Check there?

Jason

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't actually know if any code restricts the length of a flex line outdoors. Indoors you certainly can NOT use 15 feet. As a practical matter, for safety you should not use such a long hose. Extend the hard pipe to within reach of a 4 or 5 foot hose.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One thing to be aware of is the national code regarding grills has changed and is being adopted by towns and cities across the country. It severly limits the use of propane in many situations and has some specific provisions regarding natural gas grills as well. The restrictions are much more severe over multi-family dwellings, but single family ones are still potentially impacted. For example, they want the grill at least 10' from the house or an attached deck.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Do you install the black iron pipe in a sleeve or conduit/duct or something to go outdoors? What does the gas company use for incoming line when its not plastic? Looks like black (rust color) iron pipe.

Jason

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Outdoors above ground, some areas will require you to use black pipe and wrap or paint it. Some areas will require galvanized. Underground, galvanized used to be used a lot, but is no longer accepted. Here, the green epoxy coated is the norm, but failure to properly wrap the joints will also cause failure of that. Plastic pipe, which cannot be installed by homeowners, will eventually replace steel pipe in the codes I believe.

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
Another thing to keep in mind depending on which building code you fall under.
If you run gas out to your deck and the deck is covered, a sprinkler head is required.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
to jadnashua

never thought about a barbacue or grill on a 2nd story condo deck. if it was against wood siding, that would be scary :eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks