Roughing in Kohler 304 Shower Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

remodelingit

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the outside rim of the plaster guard needs to be absolutely flush with the finished wall? We haven't settled on tile yet so we don't know what the wall thickness will be. Seems to me that Kohler trims provide flexibility for this but their instructions are not all that clear.

Thanks in advance.

k-304-r14.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

John Bridge

Mudmeister
Reaction score
Website
johnbridge.com
These days with non-standard plumbing fixtures springing out of every country in the world, I provide for flexibility when roughing in. I screw a 1 by between two studs and mount the valve body to it with screws driven straight in. I set the valve into the wall but make sure I have access to the screws so that I can later move it forward if needs be by backing out the screws and shimming behind. Set the body for the thinnest tile you might use initially.
k-304-r04.jpg

:)

Seaneys

Reaction score
These days with non-standard plumbing fixtures springing out of every country in the world, I provide for flexibility when roughing in. I screw a 1 by between two studs and mount the valve body to it with screws driven straight in. I set the valve into the wall but make sure I have access to the screws so that I can later move it forward if needs be by backing out the screws and shimming behind. Set the body for the thinnest tile you might use initially. :)

What do you assume for the thickness of the mortar / adhesive?

Thanks,
Steve

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
3/8" to 7/16" is a good measure for tile and adhesive, not including concrete board or greenboard; every faucet out there has a good range of almost 2" to move in and out of that wall.

If it's an older home with wire lathe plaster....that thickness can grow considerably given the age of the home and the way the plaster guys built the thickness.

k-304-r01.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks