Attaching new wall to existing house

Users who are viewing this thread

seaweed1

Reaction score
Hello: I am planning to enclose a north-facing entrance within the side walls of a garage I wish to build. My house has cedar shingles as siding and I intend to cut the shingles down to the sheathing along a stud to prepare an area to attach the cornerpost of the wall to the house.

The question I have is: how do I flash this vertical cut (approx. 8 feet) - do I simply run continuous flashing down the side of the corner post or is there another method of protecting the cut area from water infiltration? Thanks.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
seaweed1 said:
Hello: I am planning to enclose a north-facing entrance within the side walls of a garage I wish to build. My house has cedar shingles as siding and I intend to cut the shingles down to the sheathing along a stud to prepare an area to attach the cornerpost of the wall to the house.

The question I have is: how do I flash this vertical cut (approx. 8 feet) - do I simply run continuous flashing down the side of the corner post or is there another method of protecting the cut area from water infiltration? Thanks.

This is what I would do: I would remove few cedar shingles from each course along the outside-side of the cut and place some ice and water barrier in the corner. Maybe 12in along each side. That's the same stuff used for roofing and windows/doors, etc. Then put your corner board in place (square cross section of size slightly larger than depth of your shingles) and butt them up to it. Make sure when you replace the shingles you don't have any joints lined up. Any water that infiltrates the corner will find its way down via the water and ice barrier.

Make sure whatever you do at the bottom near the foundation doesn't allow water to get in around the sill.

When you replace your shingles, make sure you match the spacing of the old. As they get older and dry out/shrink they leave a little gap. If you butt the new (or reused old) ones up tightly it'll be obvious that its a repair even after they weather.

Jason

seaweed1

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to respond Jason.

I shall follow your well-thought out information and I feel it will do the job.

Regards,

Dave

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks