Big Problem # 2 have to tunnel under house

Users who are viewing this thread

tcman

Reaction score
I have to put in a new sewer line and split off from the line I share with my neighbor (new city rule).

Anyway, neighbor won't let me put seperate line across her property, so I have to either tear off a bedroom attached to my house to lay the line or tunnel UNDER the beadroom. Distance involved in the tunnelunder the room would be 20 feet.

What do you all suggest I do as far as tunneling goes? Is there some really great method to bore a hole at the right angle for 20 feet or do I just play like an old time movie prison rat and start tunneling???

I'll be laying 4" plastic/PVC if that helps on your answers.

Again ANY advice would be appreciated. :)

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you got some fun on your hands........

I have been there and done that.....

the less deep you have to go the better.

cut it off as high as possible and keep it level ......

In your situatioin, you dont need a lot of fall, if any at all
especially with a 4 inch pvc pipe......

I would suggest getting some advice from some plumbers

and you might even find a few that will at least take pity on you

with some free advice.....

is this a deep crawlspace???

If you neighbor is being an a-hol/ thats too bad,
they will get theirs someday

Last edited:

tcman

Reaction score
There is NO crawl space at all.... I am going to have to litterly tunnel under the room from one end to the other. :(

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you don't have rock, it should be possible to put a pipe through.

I would consider the following in order:
1. Appeal the application of the city rule. They allowed it in the past and the principal of estoppel might prohibit them from requiring you to make a major change after construction. There is usually a process for appealing the building inspectors decisions to the Zoning Board of Appeals or some other board. Get some political support from whoever represents you. If all else fails you can go to court. Maybe a class action suit could be threatened.

2. Find your legal status with your neighbor. Based on the joint usage in the past, you could argue that you have a right to an easement if the city is able to enforce the new rule.

3. Consider using a pumped system where you would just pump to the nearest location of the gravity sewer. You should be able to run a pressure system around corners and right next to the foundation of the slab.

4. If all else fails, consider jacking a sleeve under the slab, and installing the 4" pipe in the sleeve.

This is a case where procrastination, appeal, and argument might be the best approach.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
good advice

that was some good advice, but I have seen where

nasty neighbors have chopped them off before ...

and they can , just for kicks or if the line is leaching water

into their basement ect ect...

if they cut you off , you are cut off and that bathroom

is literally done for till a drain is run...

negotiatioins are in order here.....
.ruining the value of your house
becasue they wont allow you an easement to
save your property is reason enough to SUE THEM>

at the very least they should allow
you to go around the house
and make repairs to their yard when you are done.

tcman

Reaction score
I have thought about building my own "directional Drilling" tool, which would be a cone shaped cutter I could feed through a pipe and run with an impact on a long steel pipe....only need to "drill" 20 feet so I may be able to build sort of a straight grain auger type tool.... don't know if that will work or not.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is my opinion that you will be trying something you are not equipped to do. Get professional advise/assistance before you cause damage to your home or yourself and end up spending money money that just getting it done right by someone with necessary experience and equipment.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Directional drilling is the way to go. Thought that the other day but didn't post it because I thought you were looking for something DIY. I don't know if they rent these out.

Why do you have to replace old pipe? Could it be a candidate for CIP? Flexible pipe is inserted into old pipe and expanded to reseal/line old pipe.

Jason

Lakee911

Reaction score
Just thought, maybe wait until the off season (not now) and hire a irrigation contractor to do the drilling for you? Prolly get a good rate if they can handle that big of a line.

Jason

tcman

Reaction score
I don't see anyone around here offering the directional drilling..... no machines to rent either.

No way I can afford to have a rig brought in from a major city 150 -180 miles away.

It's not that the pipe needs replacing (or putting a slip in it) the city mandated that people who share a sewer line must seperate the line and have their own sewer line... the line I used was actually running on my neighbors property, so she is ok and I have to run a new line..... I am "land-locked" so to speak so I either tear a room off the house to dig the trench for the line or tunnel under the room...which is what I chose to do.

Just can't figure the best way.....guess I'll just have to start tunneling :confused:

Lakee911

Reaction score
Just hold on a minute ... put the shovel down! I'm sure we can find a solution. It's not going to be easy to dig a 20ft tunnel. Besides, this can cause serious issues with the foundation of your house.

What city and state are you in? At what date does the city require you be in compliance? Will they extend it or grandfather you in given your situation?

How deep is your sewer line? How deep is the main?

Do you have a sketch showing your parcel, sewer main and your line?

Could you saw an 18 to 24in wide cut in the concrete slab under your bedroom and dig a trench that way?

Jason

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Whoa!

There are DIY horizontal drilling "kits" but nothing that I know of for a 4" borehole and tunneling under your slab sounds more than just a little dangerous. Where are you located? You can't be the only homeowner with access problems, so it sounds like a horizontal rig will be mobing to your town soon. For enough work you could probably get them to wave the mob/demob costs and cut you a price break. Are you sure there's no hardship clause to assist you or get you out of this? If all else fails I'd cut the slab before trying to hand dig a tunnel under it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Once again I want to advise you NOT to try to do this yourself. It is not uncommon to read about people killed when a trench they were digging caved in on them. And, as previously noted, you run the risk of damage to you foundation. I think it would wise to consult an attorney and perhaps get some legal relief. It could be this is not something the city can force you to do or maybe he could work with the city to make some kind of compromise.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks