How to install a vessel sink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Matthias

Reaction score
I have a glass vessel sink that I want to install above counter, with a mounting ring between the glass bowl and the counter. The problem I have is that the threaded part on the pop-up drain that came with the sink is not long enough. (Below is a picture of the drain. Note that the mounting ring is not shown on the picture.) The counter is 1.75 inch thick. The threaded part does not stick out underneath the counter, so I cannot tighten the nut to secure the sink.

I have been to numerous plumbing stores to look for a drain that has longer thread, but could not find one. Does anyone know of a drain that works with a thick counter top?

The guy in one store confused me even more. He said that the nut should be tightened against the mounting ring, not against the underside of the counter. In that case, the thread is long enough, but how would I secure the sink to the vanity so it is stable?

Thanks for any help and pointers.

Matthias

Attachments

• IMG_0290.jpg
    IMG_0290.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 2,012
  • IMG_0291[1].jpg
    IMG_0291[1].jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 2,175
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The guy in the store is right.

The first thing, is for the bowl to hold water,
to do that, you tighten up against the bowl, not through wood, which tends to compress over time.

You may need to stick the bowl down with some caulk.

Matthias

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry. By the way, this is a great forum. Just found it today while searching for an answer to my problem.

So, caulking the mounting ring to the counter top is all it takes to secure the bowl?

Thanks again for the great forum!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm thinking it would be best to enlarge the hole some and let the nut be below the counter.

The the bowl would set on the counter.

I don't know if this is really secure that way, but I know that you don't want wood between the nut and the bowl.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Your bowl should have mounting instructions. I'd call the mfg if you have none. If I had to guess, if its stick down only, a little alcohol to clean up both surfaces and silicon caulking.

Jason

Matthias

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the sink and drain did not come with instructions. I don't know the manufacturer, it's a no-name product. The quality seems solid, though.

Matthias

Reaction score
So here's what I did. I made the hole in the slate slightly bigger, so that the nut fits in (see pic.) I tightened the nut against the mounting ring. The mounting ring sits on the counter, the nut is hidden underneath. Once I'm sure it's all water tight, I might caulk the gap between the tail piece and the counter from underneath, for added stability.

Attachments

• VesselDrain.jpg
    VesselDrain.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 2,765

paulwarren

Reaction score
I thought it easier to resurrect this thread than start a new one for the same problem. Now that vessel sinks are more common are there extensions or extra-long drains available that will allow the nut to be secured to the underside of the vanity top (tightened against backer board, not wood), rather than the method in the diagram?

If there is nothing readily available and the diagrammed method is used, is the nut just tightened all the way up to the mounting ring before it is set into the hollow in the slate (tile/thinset/backerboard in my case)? Can this method even be used for tile or it only works with a thicker slab like slate or stone? How is the entire thing secured (eg should the nut be set into thinset, silicone, something else?)?

Thanks
Paul

Last edited:

paulwarren

Reaction score
To close the loop, we found a pop-up drain made by Pegasus and distributed by Home Depot with another 1 1/2 inches of thread for mounting.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "mounting ring" is supposed to be a cushion between the sink and counter, NOT between the nut and the sink. But if you did use it as a "gasket" it should have had a metal washer between it and the nut.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks