Venting question

Users who are viewing this thread

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I need a suggestion for another issue. I have had a sewage smell in my guest bathroom for a couple of weeks lately. On the roof of my house there is a vent pipe above each bathroom, but is not tied into the bathroom lavs or the kitchen sink. Under each sink, the pipe terminates above the level of the trap, with a funny looking device at the end which has a rubber umbrella looking valve inside. The plumber called this device a vaccuum break, and says it doesnt cost but about $5 for a new one, and just screws in. The rubber in the vaccum break under my bathroom sink has crumbled and fell apart, allowing the sewer odor to come back up the pipe and into the house. My question is, do I need to put this same device back? Or can I extend a vent pipe from this line, and through the roof? I have full access to the area inside of the wall behind the sink, so running the pipe is no problem. It just seems like this would make better sense than having the vaccuum break under the sink anyway.
Rob

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's called an air admittance valve. Studor is one brand, and sometimes, just like Kleenex, people call them by that name. Yes, you can vent it properly. Otherwise, replace the thing ASAP. The sewer gas can be a health hazard. That is one reason why they should be considered the second choice...a "proper" vent line is always better.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
That's wierd that there is a vent pipe through the roof, if I understood that properly, and there is a studor in use. At least thats how I think I understood that.

Don't use the sink until you can get this fixed. Put a plastic bag over the old vent and tape it on. Among other things, sewer gas contains methane and hydrogen sulfide, both which can be very hazardous.

Jason

Finnegan

Reaction score
At least one vent must terminate to the exterior. Using the sink should not increase the sewer gas coming in if the valve is defective. Sewer gas is probably coming in no matter what. You might want to wrap the valve in saran wrap or a plast bag until you pop a new valve on. They are inexpensive and easy to install.

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, guys. I do not use the sink now. I blocked the valve with plastic wrap, and duct tape, but discovered it drains the trap dry if I use the sink with the valve blocked, leaving the same problem, so I am not using the sink. I do not understand why they used this when they built the house, as the piping is exposed in the closet behind the bathroom, leaving a straight shot through the roof. My only guess is someone along the line pocketed an extra dollar. It did pass 2 inspections, one when the house was built, and another for refinancing, but I will have my plumber do the job like it should have been done in the first place, and will probably have the other fixtures properly vented also. Strange thing is that the builder did the drain plumbing, instead of a plumber. Had to have the supply side done by a plumber though. I don't quite understand this!?!?!?
Rob

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks