Tub Drain Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
The drain (2" dia) to my tub started leaking from pin holes in the pipe. I came up with an on the spot temporary fix using a plastic half pipe smeared inside with some roof tar and attached using cable ties, picture below. Works without any problems. I just would like to confirm that I can do a permanent fix by cutting out the damaged section of pipe and then adding a new section of pipe tying it to the old pipe using rubber sleeves and full clamps on the ends (not sure what the exact name of these sleeve/clamp combinations is). Thank you ahead of time for any information you can give me.

Jerry

Attachments

• Drain PipeC.jpg
    Drain PipeC.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 326

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes you can. I would replace as much of the pipe as you can. The couplings you want are called banded couplings. They have a band of smooth stainless steel around the rubber and the 2 clamps. Don't use the banded couplings with corrogated stainless around them.

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
Cass - Thank you very much for your input. Now I know exactly what to do and buy.

Thanks,

Jerry.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Cass said:
Yes you can. I would replace as much of the pipe as you can. The couplings you want are called banded couplings. They have a band of smooth stainless steel around the rubber and the 2 clamps. Don't use the banded couplings with corrogated stainless around them.

What's the difference?

(I've got a supply line in the basement w/ a pinhole leak fixed in a similar maner...I know, I know... I just keep forgetting to fix it when the water is off. I'll replace the section when I do my kitchen remodel. Will need to move some plumbing and HVAC and electrical, etc....)

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
As it ended up I have a few more questions. They are as follows:

The damaged pipe is a galvanized pipe, therefore...

1) Should I replace it with same or use a PVC pipe?
2) If I install a PVC pipe, is considerably more noise going to be noticeable with this pipe?
2) Is the OD of the PVC pipe same as the OD of the galvanized pipe?
3) Is installing a PVC pipe in this application where it joins galvanized sections, meets code?

Thank you,

Jerry

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
jk60 said:
As it ended up I have a few more questions. They are as follows:

The damaged pipe is a galvanized pipe, therefore...

1) Should I replace it with same or use a PVC pipe?
2) If I install a PVC pipe, is considerably more noise going to be noticeable with this pipe?
2) Is the OD of the PVC pipe same as the OD of the galvanized pipe?
3) Is installing a PVC pipe in this application where it joins galvanized sections, meets code?

Thank you,

Jerry

1) Use PVC but it will need to be supported more than the gal.
2) no
2)Yes
3)yes

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Lakee911 said:
What's the difference?

(I've got a supply line in the basement w/ a pinhole leak fixed in a similar maner...I know, I know... I just keep forgetting to fix it when the water is off. I'll replace the section when I do my kitchen remodel. Will need to move some plumbing and HVAC and electrical, etc....)

The corrougated is for cast iron to cast iron connections.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Cass said:
The corrougated is for cast iron to cast iron connections.

Is there any reason why though? Only thing I can think of is cast wouldn't compress much and the corrugations (is that a word?) wouldn't slip past eachother and that would be ok. Otherwise you'd want a tight connection with the band sliding past eachother. Dunno.

Cass said:
jk60 said:
2) no

I've always thought cast iron was quieter than PVC and Galvanized is closer to Cast Iron than PVC, no? Wouldn't it be louder?

Jason

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The word you used was "considerably" and the answer is no. It is not "considerably" more noisy.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
band

In theory, the two pipes are not quite the same o.d., therefore the band has to have a slightly larger opening at one end than the other. The corrugated No-Hub couplings are a single size device, the smooth ones are trasition couplings with each end designated for a certain type of pipe. In practice, the No-Hub couplings are often used for that application, when the transition is not available, since the o.d. differential is very slight.

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
Replaced damaged section of galvanized pipe with about 5 ft of PVC pipe. Used the smooth SS banded couplings as recommended. Works like a charm. Thanks everyone for your advice!!!

Jerry

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks