Connecting De-Humidifers into Waste and Drain, Don't want Odors What is your opinion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jtonenet

Reaction score
Website
www.flatcreekmo.com
I have gone over this several times in my mind but I thought an new prospective might be good.
I have this commercial basement that is 10,000 square feet with 10' ceilings that I am goint to install 3 De-humidifers and 2 Humidex Atlantic units in to control the mosture. The De-humidifers have 25psi pumps in them to help push the the water that they pull out of the air into a drain. I want to run the 1/2" pex line from each of the units to the main Waste and drain stack somewhere in the basement instead of just droping them into a floor drain. My question is what do you think would be the best way to keep odor from coming out and back to the units.
The job is about 4 hours away so I don't know exactly where the main stack is but I know there has to be one in their somewhere.
Oh I will be mounting the units to the 10 ft. high ceilings and running the pex line to where ever the stack is.

One thought is to drill into the main stack either Cast Iron or PVC and to thread it with 1/2" threads so I could install the lines directly into the stack, but I would have to install a 1/2" p trap per each line, or one p trap and tee all three lines into the one p trap.

This building is in a downtown area and use to be a Mfg. company and the developer is converting the 5 floors above the basement to lofts to rent out. So the main stack could very well be cast Iron.

I just don't want to be the one that causes the stink in the basement.

What do you think, I would value your opinions.
:)

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
With 25 psi pumps you can install check valves and you shouldn't need a trap, and there shouldn't be any possibility of getting any gas back into the space. You should also be able to send it all to a utility sink somewhere.

Is there going to be a sump pump or sewage ejector anywhere in the basement space? That would be another place to discharge it.

Jtonenet

Reaction score
Website
www.flatcreekmo.com
Great suggestion

Thanks so much for you suggestions. At this time I don't really know if there will be any such things. The owner did mention that he might install washer and dryers in the basement. But I don't think there is any at this time. I know there is floor drains, but I don't know if there is any sump pumps in the building. One would think so with a completly underground basement of this size.

I love the suggestion of using check valves, this should solve the problem just fine. The rest would be based on the what is availible.

Thanks so much. :)
Jim

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks