bedroom window

Users who are viewing this thread

johnapril

Reaction score
Folks,

I am in the process of designing a remodel on my 4-bedroom house. There is one bedroom in the center of the house with a window facing onto a screened in porch. This is the only window in the room. I would like to do away with it so I can use the space on the other side of the window as a closet. I plan on putting a skylight into the bedroom so it isn't completely without natural light.

Questions: is this allowed? Does every bedroom have to have a window according to building codes?

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A bedroom requires two means of egress...often, one of them is a properly sized window (a ladder is optional).

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
My daughter is working with a contractor on designing a remodel for her house. There is one problem area.....they would like to do away with a window by expanding out the side of the garage for a laundry room. But the room has a closet. If you take out the window, they will also make her take out the closet. The city realizes if a room has a closet, it WILL be used a a bedroom, and they will not permit that.

Prashster

Reaction score
I went through the same thing with my basement.
If you call the room a 'study' or 'office' then it would pass my town's inspection. The presence of a wardrobe-sized closet made it a bedroom. A linen-sized closet would not have been a problem.

Is it possible to switch the living space and the closet? i.e., can you extend the living space out into the porch area, and put the closet on the interior portion of the room?

Last edited:

johnapril

Reaction score
Interesting discussion here. I am planning to take a bedroom that will be in the center of the house (post addition) and split it in half. One side will be a walk-in closet (7'x10') for the new master bedroom. The other side will be a laundry room (6'x10'). The laundry room side will have the "old bedroom's" 2'x6' closet in it. Am I in trouble here? Could it be that a room plumbed for a washer and dryer with a bedroom-sized closet could still be perceived as/considered a bedroom?

Prashster

Reaction score
6x10 is a small space to be perceived as a bedroom. I believe you'd be ok. But I'm not a pro or an inspector. I think the smartest and easiest thing for you to do is draw up your plans and take them to the building inspector's office and review them with him. This call may be subjective, and it's his/her opinion that counts.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
W&D

while common sense is often lacking in building departments and inspectors, the presence of a W&D in the room would pretty much preclude it from being a bedroom.

johnapril

Reaction score
I wonder if the contractor's building plan for this, having the modified space labeled as "laundry room," would be enough. Here in Indiana it seems the codes are sort of lax. My contractor used to build in California where he says the restrictions were more plentiful.

Finnegan

Reaction score
This issue often arises in NYC where people will stick bedrooms wherever they can. If it does not have a windown and a closet it is simply called a chamber.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
might result in a death chamber...leave the window in or add another door.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks