pvc vs. copper

Users who are viewing this thread

GaryD

Reaction score
I am plumbing a new basement bathroom. I was thinking of using pvc instead of copper just to reduce costs. Is this a bad idea?

Is there any issues with connecting pvc lines to existing copper lines?
Thanks, Gary

Lancaster

Reaction score
Cant use PVC for indoor water line.CPVC would be OK.CPVC is hooked up to copper all the time but the union-type fittings shouldnt be used inside a wall.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
PVC is not allowed for inside water. CPVC is legal, but copper if a far better choice. The inside diameter of CPVC is much smaller than copper, and CPVC is not as dependable as copper. Stay with copper.

Finnegan

Reaction score
I plumbed a bathroom and laundry area with cpvc about 6 years ago. No problems yet.

Prashster

Reaction score
PVC = for drains.
CVPC = for water supply.

I went through the same dilemma. I chose copper. BUT, CPVC is quite a bit less expensive (for a bathroom, though, it might save you about $25. Whoopieee!!!) Also, if you have room to leave access to the supply lines, replacements (if they're necessary) won't be a big deal.

Solvent connections for CVPC are less intimidating for those inexperienced with sweating copper. CPVC seems to have a bad reputation among serious plumbers, but around here a lot of new homes have used it without event.

Check, though, if yr local code allows it and allows it in basements, and allows it to be mixed w/ copper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks