Offset flange

Users who are viewing this thread

dzipin

Reaction score
I am completing a bathroom that I added in what was a large closet and the space for the toilet was 35” wide. Knowing that I should have 15” on either side I was forced to deal with a joist that ran under the floor directly in the middle – I used an offset flange and set the toilet off center by one inch. The combination was adequate and everything fit but the more I read on this board, the more I’m concerned that the offset flange is going to create a life of problems. Are these flanges really as bad as the few posts mentioned or will it be useable? I don’t know how I’d work around it but at least I will know what my risks are. Thanks

closet_flange_45.jpg

closet_flange_offset.jpg

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Jwray

Reaction score
Help for joist

I'm interested to hear what folks have to say about the offset flanges. I've seen comments both pro and con. Does seen to often be a point of concern.

It may be worth considering not using the offset if there are any valid negative comments given the consequences if it fails. Leaking water (and I'm not talking clean water :( ) and structural damage not good.

Here's something you may want to check out if you could install a conventional flange with some moderate joist notching. You'll have to check with your local code authority to see if they would allow this.

http://www.metwood.com/joist_reinforcers/jr_product_details.htm

I should mention that the newsletter sign-up and web contact us form seem to be broken on the site. You can call them at 540-334-4294 or toll free 866-METWOOD (also listed on the contact us page).

Good Luck,

Joel

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You should be okay. If you really wanted it in the middle, you could build a header in - i.e., cut the joist, and frame up a box to let the drain come up where you want it. You'd have to check with a structural guy to determine how best to do it, and you'd need to support the joist so it didn't move while you cut it and until you got the new header in, but it could be done. Now, is it worth it, probably not.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Offset OK

I'm one of those that bad mouth the offset flanges, but the guys and gal here have beaten up on me so bad that, I need to admit my prejudice is a couple of decades old :eek: and that you probably will not have problems.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
offset

The problem is not the offset flange, per se. But rather the type of offset flange. A short cast iron offset will have a "shelf" under the bowl's outlet, and a long one, which is like a lazy "Z" will be difficult to attach to the pipe, after the pipe is cut down at a point about 3" under the floor. A plastic offset is similar to a long cast iron one, but it is easier to attach. Neither of these last two create a restriction to the water and waste flow.

offset-closet-flange-5831.jpg

dzipin

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks everyone, that gives me the confidence I need to finish up – not that I couldn't re-do it down the road but no one likes rœfinishing knowing that's ahead of them.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Deciding on an Offset Flange for your toilet

I am completing a bathroom that I added in what was a large closet and the space for the toilet was 35†wide. Knowing that I should have 15†on either side I was forced to deal with a joist that ran under the floor directly in the middle – I used an offset flange and set the toilet off center by one inch. The combination was adequate and everything fit but the more I read on this board, the more I’m concerned that the offset flange is going to create a life of problems. Are these flanges really as bad as the few posts mentioned or will it be useable? I don’t know how I’d work around it but at least I will know what my risks are. Thanks

Offset flanges can save the day. Yet in my home they I have one and this toilet is always backing up - and no it's not just me.

I do not think all offset flanges are equal. Find tone with the largest opening possible. The one I show below has a much wider mouth than the cheap ABS one I installed at my home at rough in. I asked the salesman if he had any problems with the offsets and he said no client complaints. I also asked two plumbers who where in line with me their views on offsets and both said never a problem

I suspect that it is the toilets design or perhaps there is something in the toilets waste line that got flushed that is slowing things down.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
What does an offset flange look like? Photo's Here

Here is a look at a typical offset flange. There are two types from what I can tell and many versions of the basic two.

Here in Vancouver I purchase my offset flanges at either EMCO Plumbing or Bartle & Gibson.

The first thing you need to decide on is - do I need a fire rating on this piece.

ABS (Black Pipe) and PVC (white pipe) are not fire rated and there fore not approved for multi family homes like all of Vancouver's Condos.

PVC Grey System 15 PVC is approved but currently there is only one type of offset flange.

An offset flange either is offset about 2" and makes the offset within the shape of the fitting or it tales off at a 45 degree angle. Here is a look at a White PVC offset that offers up a 2" change in center location. These are perfect for tub to shower conversions where you want more room. Often we install an ACO drain in the position of the old tub. We replace a 30" tub with a nice 32" shower but this crowds the toilet location. You need to keep 15" at least from the center of the toilet to the glass so using an offset toilet flange helps you achieve this.

Also some older toilets have a 10" requirement not 12" like most toilets from the wall to the center of the toilet flange. These offsets allow you to make an upgrade to your plumbing system and open the doors to more toilet options.

You can see the offset design.

Bottom View

Top view.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks