Dripping toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

spyshot

Reaction score
i'm going nuts....

my toilet has for some time now had a dripping sound coming from it. never at any time has there been a leakage onto the floor. the sounds is coming from inside the toilet. drip drip drip.....

i thought it was the flapper valve, so with the tank emptied i started removing the flapper but i began to hear the dripping again, so that wasnt it. i then figured the only other possibilty could be the seal between the flush valve and the tank. i disconnected the water supply and completely removed the toilet tank to replace the seal and sure enough drip drip drip.

i now have no water connected to the toilet, the tank is competely removed and there is still a dripping sound coming from inside the toilet. there is no visible leakage onto the floor at all. there is, however still water sitting in the toilet bowl.

any help would be much appreciated, this is driving me crazy!

thanks
spy

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, empty the bowl and listen for the drip sound , then report back.

D

dc_homeplumber

If the dripping sound is after completion of a flush and tank refill, the dripping is overfill of the bowl going down the drain and is nothing to worry about. It should not be a constant sound. If the bowl water level drops perceptibly between flushes, there could be a fracture in the bowl allowing the water to slowly drain (drip) out. If the base of the toilet is caulked or grouted at the floor, you probably need to pull the toilet to ensure that the water is in fact going down the drain.

spyshot

Reaction score
thank you everyone for your reply to my problem

the toilet has been taken out recently to do some painting. so i'm pretty confident that there is no water on the floor. there was caulking there before but is not now. the floor was dry underneath also. the dripping was heard before and now after the toilet was removed and put back. the dripping does start after a flush and lasts for at least half an hour if not longer. i will start monitoring how long it is lasting.

so basically it sounds like the only fix from here is to replace the toilet?
i agree that there really isnt anything to worry about as far as water damage or functionality of the toilet...it is just really annoying to hear that dripping.

thanks again

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are you sure thatthe flush valve is closing all of the way at the end of the flush? It is possible that it is still barely running water into the tank for awhile. If it is windy, the airflow over the vent pipe in the roof can make the water move a little in the toilet. This can slosh a little bit over the top of the weir (the internal trap) and you might hear it. If it isn't leaking, it probably insn't anything to worry about.

spyshot

Reaction score
i'm sure it has nothing to do with the flush valve since i have the entire tank off right now and can still hear dripping.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks