Water line crack ,leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

pizztank1

Reaction score
Hello, my pvc water line from the well developed a crack and leaks.It has pyrotenic inside.Is ther anything like a pipe wrap that will wrap around it( like heat shrink). The leak is above ground and in a good spot to work on.Any advice appreciated.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can go to HD and get a union and a coupling and a piece of pipe and a primer/cement kit and repair it properly with less bother and probably less cost than any wrap you could possibly find.

Be sure you get pressure fittings (Schedule 40 or schedule 80). Their unions are marked schedule 80 which is fine. DO NOT use fittings marked DWV.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The heat line probably goes about 10 ft town the well. It doesn't NEED any more than that.

You could probably cut the pipe in the vicinity of the crack and pull back the end from the well; but no guarantees. It is hard to push a wire around an elbow. Try pulling it back a few inches and then try to push it back in. If you can't push it a few inches, then you will be unable to push it several feet. It was probably pulled in the first time.

You might try pulling the end back from the house to the break if it will fit through the pipe, with a wire to pull it back through when you are finished. You might have to cut the plug off and splice it back on. You will have to cut and splice your pull wire after you add the repair section.

You can make up one end of the removed section with a coupling; then install the union on the ends of the pipe.

Then you can push the free end down the well, if you are lucky, and make up the union.

It is probably possible to cut and splice the wire, using a splice such as is used for connecting the pump under water.

By the way, a heating wire is not a pyrotechnic. Pyrotechnic refers to fire, such as fireworks or explosives. I didn't understand what you were referring to and my response didn't consider that.

pizztank1

Reaction score
fixed the leak

Thanks for all the help. I fixed it ,so far. I epoxied the crack first. Then I let it dry for a day with no pressure. I wrapped it with some black Miracle tape for plumbing (Canadian Tire). I then wrapped it with some red tape from Eecol Electric,forget name except for Thomas and Betts. This nearly held but two bubles appeared after 5 minutes. I put some more red tape on as held and did not bubble. I then added Duck tape for strength. Next I found the next size larger pvc hose and made a brace by cutting it in 3 longitudinal pieces.With all that tape I needed extra room. I then used 3 hose clamps. No problems so far, I will check it in a few days and if it leaks I will let you know.That is unles I jump down the well. Thanks again. Pizztank

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks