Tiling question

Users who are viewing this thread

valkyrie_grrl

Reaction score
I am in the process of remodelling my bathroom.

I have decided to use ceramic tile for the shower/tub surround. I have removed all the previous worn/mismatched tiles. Will I need to remove all the old drywall down to the studs before putting new greenboard/backerboard up or can I just put the new material over the old stuff?

Thanks...

Angie

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Drywall, including greenboard, is not a satisfactory substrate for tile in a shower. If the existing drwall has not suffered any rot, that in iteslf is quite unusual. Do not put new tile over it. Take the wall down to the studs. Install a vapor barrier ( visqueen or 15 lb. felt ) then cement board.

For excellent assistance in the tile area, see www.johnbridge.com

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tile

How would you adapt to the extra thickness of the greenboard? If you know that, then there is no reason for not putting the greenboard, or preferrably cement board, on top of the drywall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks