(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Which Shower Valve???

DIY Junior Member

Question Which Shower Valve???

I have my shower stall down to the studs for remodeling. Figure now is the time to install new valve. Don't know what type I had. It was a Moen but very old, it was in the house when we bought it 15 yrs ago. Try searching net but was confused by all the different manufacturer's types of valve choices, seems like each manufactuer has several different choices. Which shower valve is best for low volumn, low pressure? (We have a well and by the time it runs the all the conditioning systems there is not much left.) And don't worry I am not going to install myself. I am going to have a plumber do it once I can find one. (It's hard in here in central Florida with all the new construction) The guy that is doing the rest of the work is no help on this subject. Thanks!

Just about any style/model Moen or Delta will work fine.

Default valve

The only one I will recommend, or furnish, is the Delta 1700 series. It has separate controls for temperature and pressure, so you don't have to run it wide open all the time like the ones with a single handle.

DIY Junior Member

Wide open is what we run our old Moen at to get enough water. It's a pull out single lever. Just curious if the different valves have different restrictions. Like Moen has the posi-temp, moentrol, standard, along with a few more. Do the added features to these valves restrict water pressure or flow?

Thanks,
    Cherie

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The thing that restricts flow is usually in the showerhead itself...most of the valves are also designed to fill a tub, and there is no restriction on flow (by the feds) on that. Really complex, multiple head showers may need 3/4" supply and valves to support the flow, but with a single showerhead, 1/2" is more than enough since it is restricted to 2.5gpm. Not all showerheads produce a nice shower with that flow, though, and with low pressure, even some of the better ones can't do it, either.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014