Just brought an older home. Need Help with small bathroom remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

va2adez

Military
Reaction score
I need all the help I can get. The bathroom is in the master bedroom. It is fairly small, 7' X 4'5". I am trying to expand it. The other side is a closet that opens up to the hall way. The problem I think I am going to have is the plumbing for the shower stall. I want to move the pipes back so I can put a good size shower stall in there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
slab or crawl??

it looks like that is a closet behind the wall , correct???

flip the faucet to the left side and the drain vent over to the
left side adonw in the crawl space and that would solve your problems...

then all you got to do is take outhte wall and put in probably a 48
inch showeer stall...

I would definitely flip that faucet to the left wall or you
will be haveing to straddle the toilet every time
you attempt to turn on the shower.. th;a;t aint fun for big people

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
True that. Flip controls over to other wall. Do some more demo, get down to bare studs, pop out that shower base and snap a photo or three and we'll be able to give you any advice you need. I wish I could have expanded my shower/bathroom when I remodelled it....

If you're going to tile, check out JohnBridge

Jason

va2adez

Military
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Here is the measurements attached

My biggest problem is figuring out if I need to relocate the drain and the water supply?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Ideally, the shower drain will be centered in the floor (unless you build a seat, then you might want it elsewhere). You need the slope at 1/4" per foot, and if the drain is not in the center, the walls are not even around their base. You take the longest distance to the drain, figure the height of the pan, then make it the same all the way around. If the pan isn't square, the short sides will be steeper than the long sides.

Assuming you are going to tile this, check out www.johnbridge.com

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The pipe going to the roof is the vent...you will need to move that. It is connected to (at least) the shower drain, so when you move the drain, you'd need to break that as well. You could cut it off in the attic, run it up a convenient wall, and reconnect the new stuff to that pipe going through the roof, or replace it all the way through the roof. Since the vent doesn't normally carry water, replacing with pvc is probably the easiest thing to use. Below the floor, the toilet probably also runs to the pipe that goes down to the basement. Depending on the orientation, that may be the vent for both the toilet and the shower. Not sure if that is correct. In the attic, do you see anotherpipe coming up from behind the toilet, and connecting to that pipe thatgoes up and is exposed? One of the pros will have some comments...

va2adez

Military
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply

There is no basement. The house is on a concrete slab. All around the shower stall is storage space. If I can move the vent pie I will benefit my max shower space. The vent runs right in the middle of the future expansion. that is the only problem I have. Plus here in California I have to check the restrictions.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks like your cleanout is in the closet, which suggests a main line right under your shower. You are not going to get what you want without breaking concrete.

I suggest you make a plan of the solution that best meets your needs without regard to trying to save anything. What is the ideal solution for you within the floor space available. Otherwise, you will always have a compromise that you will hate for as long as you live there.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

At this stage, you need to contact a plumber and get an estimate for doing the pipe revision. It is beyond the scope of a DIY, for several reasons, one being that if you take the wall out you have to do something about the water lines, without having any connections in, or under, the floor.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I wouldn't jump to conclusions. That's a pretty small cleanout--surely can not be for the whole house.

Sure, he's going to have to bust up some concrete, but if he's careful he can bust it up and do some investigation as to what he has to work with. If this isn't the only bathroom in the house, and you've got plenty of time, with the help here, you can tackle it yourself. Hiring this out will be expensive.

Up to you, va2adez.

Just a thought... maybe this is a dumb idea, but what about raising the shower/bath? a few inches (like 5 or 6)? He wouldn't have to bust up concrete, could relocate the pipes/vents to the outer walls by going along the floor for a foot or two. Not ideal, but maybe cost effective.

Jason

va2adez

Military
Reaction score
Good thinking Jason!!!

I thought of that too. Raising the shower would not be a problem because the shower stall ceiling is 10 ft tall. How would I run the vent pipe? Horizontal for a foot? Do you think that would be against California plumbing codes?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks