Drain Assembly Connection

Users who are viewing this thread

txlandlord

Reaction score
Website
www.brotherscustomworks.com
My plumber used what he says is an alternate and code acceptable drain assembly.

This home is being built in the county with no inspections.

Typically, our plumber runs sink drains stubbed out prior to sheetrock. To finish he normally uses a male adapter on the 1 1/2" drain pipe coming out of the wall / ties the 1 1/4" drain assembly into the pipe and at the male adapter and uses a nut on the male adapter and plastic washer to seal the stub out drain to the drain assembly. In the last house he used a glue on adapter that reduces the 1 1/2" to 1 1/4" . He then slid the drain assemble into the reducer and glued the joint.

One of these alternate method conections failed and leaked. It has caused me to question all of the other sinks as they also use this alternate glue instead of screw methods of connection.

His reasoning is that it is a better application when so much activity can go on under the sink and loosen the nuts. He alos admits that it is faster and cheaper.

The home has 11 sinks, all except the decorative pedistal lav in the Powder have this type of drain assembly.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
connection

It may be "easier, faster, and cheaper," but it is also a future repair nightmare. How do you take it apart if the drain has to be serviced. And if a trap slip nut cracks, which is not impossible, how do you remove that part at the wall to replace it? I always connect with a screwed slip nut, although there are new construction plumbers who use glue joints and we have to cut them out an change them when anything has to be done to the drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks