Shower head pipe too close to ceiling

Users who are viewing this thread

rzellmer

Reaction score
My plumber did a really interesting thing. I have a tub/shower that is underneath a fairly low soffit.

In order to maximize the headroom he put the threaded elbow for the shower arm really close to the ceiling. So close that the arm wacks the ceiling when I try to screw it in.

I could pop the tile and have him lower it or I could go into the closet behind the tub and cut the pipe to the head so that we can get the elbow on an angle that would allow us to screw the arm in. I dont really like either solution though as I really want to keep it as high as possible as the soffit is really low and I would rather not cut the pipe going from the valve to the shower head as that would make it impossible to remove the arm later without recutting the pipe.

Is there any fitting that can be used in the elbow that would allow us to spin in the arm without actually spinning it? Something like a compression fitting?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Depending on looks you could get a brass nipple with a 45 degree coupling which should screw in. Then after it is screwed in add another nipple and the shower head. You probably won't find it in polished brass.

Or do what Mikey suggested.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could use a union or a compression fitting. You might be able to swing a 45 degree elbow or street el, and then attach a straight nipple to it for the down part. The male end of a street el would probably be the smallest part to swing.

You could go as small as 1/4" brass pipe for the elbows and handle the 2.5 GPM flows that are provided by modern showers. You would use a 1/2 x 1/4 brass reducing bushing into the tee in the wall; then put the union or elbow on it, and another 1/2 x 1/4 bushing into the shower head. You could go to 3/8" if you have room.

It would look like a mess, but you might be able to find fittings with chrome finish.

rzellmer

Reaction score
Hmm..

I have brushed nickel fixtures to finding a straight pipe and a 45 might be tough unless I could get it from kohler to match.

I was thinking maybe a union would work but not sure if there would be the right clearance as I am not sure how I would get a wrench in there.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm sure you could find a hand held shower head with hose in brushed nickel somewhere try Grohe they will have what you need for the hand held but you will spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$

rzellmer

Reaction score
I am sure I could.. but I like the kohler forte head that I have now.

If it came to that I would bust out the tile and lower the elbow a little.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
You can get those brass nipples in chrome too.

I like Cass's idea best..........

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks