Main Trap Clog?? HELP!

Users who are viewing this thread

pattyg101

Reaction score
Well, here goes yet another problem for the board members.....

I have recently finished construction on a new home in which I sub contracted plumbing work to a licensed plumber (I live within NYC). All water/sewer lines are 100% new and have only seen use for about 3 months. (the pipes were actually installed about 10 months ago) My problem is in the basement where today I noticed I had a couple of floor drains backed up.

In the basement, the outside drain that drains the area by an exterior door is connected to a floor drain in the utility room as well as a toilet bowl in the bathroom, from there, the pipe goes to a main house trap then out to the city sewer. I first noticed the problem when I heard the toilet bowl make a bubbling sound, then I looked outside to see the water rising out of the exterior floor drain, then I walked into the boiler room and saw about a half inch of water already on the floor, again, water was coming up through the drain.

I figured there has to be a clog somewhere, so I decided to have a look at the main house trap (yes, they are still required in NYC building codes, here's a link to a sketch that is similiar to mine, http://www.geocities.com/saldnm/house_trap.gif ). I opened the top which was closest to the outside of the building, and as I slowly opened it, water began to backflow out of it, well it was not exactly water as you can imagine, more like raw sewage, and of course it was stinky and nasty. I quickly tightened it and almost puked.

Not being an expert in plumbing, however, I sort of think that when you open a main house trap, you are not suppose to get a back flow of water coming into the building.

The main sewer line was replaced not so long ago since the original was about 100 years old. Total cost was about $10,000 to replace water main and sewer lines alone. There is an extremely large maple tree directly over the sewer lines on the sidewalk before they enter the city sewer (tree is about 45 feet high and 3 or 4 feet thick.) Is it possible for the roots to grow into the pipes that quick and cuase such a problem? (pipes have been installed 10 to 12 months ago.

Do you think my plumber messed something up here? Or can it be something else? There have been horror stories where a sewer line will back up over night and totally destroy a basement, I've seen pics of basements with 2 to 4 inches of muck everywhere, man I hope that doesnt happen here!!!

Any suggestions/comments ??

thanks!

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
How did they install the new sewer directly under the tree? Did they bore it? Usually they dig a trench which prevents putting it under a big tree.

They should have used heavy duty plastic pipe which would have joints that are resistant to tree roots.

It is possible that you are getting backup from the city sewer. Check with neighbors. Is your basement at a lower elevation than neighbors?

You might have to get them to run a camera down the pipe to see if there is a problem. I would call the installing plumber to check it out.

Some dummy might have used the drain to get rid of excess concrete or plaster.

pattyg101

Reaction score
I just met with the plumber and he says that the tree roots probably grew into the hubbed (sic?) sewer main. He is coming back later with the machine to cut the roots out. He says that it should be done every 6 months, it will cost $150 every time. Considering the size of the tree, (its HUUGE) do you pro's think that having it snaked every 6 months is sufficient? Should I do it more frequently or less frequently?

PS. I'm under the impression that plastic sewer mains are not up to code in NYC (even though they would be able to keep the roots of trees out). Does anyone know for sure if this is the case? WHen I had the sewer main replaced they used the hubbed cast iron type.

Thanks for all of your help!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You said that the main line was replaced, $10,000.00? Did they not replace the part under the tree?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might want to get a stock of ROOTX.

It's $40 to $45 per 2# jar on line. I don't know what it is in a local store.

But you can buy it directly by calling
bullet.gif
Call 1-800-844-4974 To Order RootX .

They quoted 12 unit case lots at $222 for 2# and $378 for 4#. As a landlord, you need to keep a bunch on hand and treat your drains regularly.

A 2# jar is supposed to do 50 ft of 4" line and keep it clear for a year. He suggested 6# for 100 ft of 6" line.

pattyg101

Reaction score
Cass said:
You said that the main line was replaced, $10,000.00? Did they not replace the part under the tree?

The main sewer line runs about 4 feet to the right of the tree. It is also about 10 to 12 feet deep, so the large roots of the tree do not interfere with it, only the smaller roots. That section was definately replaced as I watched them do it, they used a catepillar back-ho to dig it up.

Anyway, the roots have been cleared and everything seems to work fine now. I never realized roots could grow in that fast, I assumed that the roots would take a few years to penetrate the sewer pipes.

thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks