Pre-tinned Fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

nottick

Reaction score
Anybody have any input as to pre-tinned fittings? I have seen them in the big box shops, as well as plumbing supply houses.

They are considerably expensive on a percentage basis as compared to the regular copper fittings.

A regular 1/2 copper elbow is 18 cents, the pre-tinned are 1.20 :mad: here in the Tampa Bay area.

These pre-tinned fittings still have to be cleaned and fluxed. In that regard they don't offer any time savings.

Has anybody used them ? Are they reliable? Is there enough solder in them? etc.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This has been discussed here...use the search function in the blue bar above...

nottick

Reaction score
I am seeking information about fittings that are sold pre-tinned, not fittings that have been soldered and then removed.

Unless your "search" results are tricking me, I don't see that "discussion".

jadnashua said:
This has been discussed here...use the search function in the blue bar above...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are you talking about the ones with a ring of solder? That isn't really pre-tinned. It has a raised ring crimp in the fitting, filled with solder? Search pre-soldered...

nottick

Reaction score
Yes, and they are sold /marketed as "pre-tinned".

That is why I used the subject " Pre-tinned Fittings".

On the boxes which they are shipped by manufacturer there is a label that says " Pre-Tinned Copper Fittings" .

In the big box shops these boxes with their 64 pt font label say "Pre-Tinned Fitting".

So, I would venture to say " yes" - I am talking about the ones that are pre-soldered.

I search "pre-soldered" and found this https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5933&highlight=pre-soldered

I found a lot of opinions there, but not much answers.
One poster does not like the concept, another prefers this or that.

My question is and still remains : Has anybody ever used them, do they work, do they require additional solder, etc.

The search does not answer my question. the thread offers one post of input posted by Phraster. All the other replies are , well , just posts - not answers based on experience.

So, if anybody has used these pre-tinned fittings, I would appreciate some input.

Thanks.

jadnashua said:
Are you talking about the ones with a ring of solder? That isn't really pre-tinned. It has a raised ring crimp in the fitting, filled with solder? Search pre-soldered...

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If they are marking them up as you have reported, they are taking advantage of insecure pseudo-plumbers. When they were first sold in HD they were the same as or maybe up to 10% more than plain fittings. They are thinner and use less copper so they probably cost less to produce.

They don't have enough solder to do the job anyway. You have to add some to get a decent fillet.

If you use Oatey # 95 tinning flux you will get good joints. It contains 4 to 8 percent tin and may contain a small amount of copper.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Yes, as a plumber I've used them but only because I was given them (150 tees and 90's) from Home Cheapo and the few I tried still needed more solder as mentioned. I use only tinning flux and have no complaints on the product.

I tried to sell the rest of them on an online auction and they wouldn't even sell at $10 plus shipping; practically giving them away. :confused: :mad:

Home depot is hurting right now in my area on these; they are sitting ducks on the shelves and no matter how low they drop the price, they are not moving. They are way overpriced. Stick with simple, use what everyone is accustomed to, the regular ones.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I predicted to some plumber friends that they(the fittings) would be gone within a few years due to non use by plumbers and that HD would loose a bundle from this. Of the big box stores HD is the worst in my NSHO, I can't stand going there.

As far as using them, no I haven't and would only buy one if it was an emergency situation with no other reasonable option.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fittings

If they are truly "pre tinned" then they are the same as a fitting that had been installed and then removed. Pretinning is a help to people that don't know how to clean, flux, and solder joints properly. With them, as long as you get the joint hot enough and add solder, it will flow into the joint, so you don't have to worry about whether the solder coated the entire inside of the joint. If they just have the solder in the fitting already, then you still have to treat it as a regular joint. You just don't have to use as much solder, although they probably say you don't need any additional solder. Which may be true, but a plumber would add some anyway.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
These are just a gimmick intended to sell to the novice DIYer who thinks sweating a copper joint is some kind of complex job that has now been made simple enough for him to do. They're a rip off in my opinion.

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
A minority opinion

nottick said:
A regular 1/2 copper elbow is 18 cents, the pre-tinned are 1.20 :mad: here in the Tampa Bay area.

I've used the pretinned fittings and find them convenient to use in very tight spaces. Mind you I am a DIYer, not a professional, and perhaps that's why I like them. It's true that they are thinner then the standard fittings (about 15% thinner) and do not yield a "healthy" solder bead around the rim, but I've not had any leaks from the ones I've used. Would I pay $1.20 pre-tinned vs $.18 for standard fittings, the answer is NO. However for the Home Depots in the San Francisco area the prices are completely different then the ones you quoted. A regular 1/2" copper elbow (Nibco) is closer to $.75 and the pre-tinned elbow is about the same price. In fact some pre-tinned fittings sell for a cheaper price then the regular variety. So with pricing like that and if I do have to work in tight spaces I would buy and use the pre-tinned fittings.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks