Shower valve install ?????

Users who are viewing this thread

01sesedan

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Been looking for a post that covers this but have not been able to find one. I have a Moen #82450 that needs to be install on a block wall. I'm trying to find the correct way to install the valve. If the valve is directly on the block wall, the handle sticks out too far from the cover plate (not sure if it's the correct term). The only 2 options that I can see that would make it fit is building out the wall of the shower or make a big hole in the wall. Not sure what to do.

What do you guys think? Need some tips.

Thanks....

Jose

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
From your description, it is probably not what Lowe's would call "Fashion plumbing".

Unless the pipes are in the wall, I would mount the valve on the wall and make a stainless steel shield to cover it up. The shield could probably be designed as a shelf to hold the soap and shampoo. It would provide easy access to maintain the valve.

The shield would have an open bottom so nothing could collect in it.

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
Um, is that block wall an exterior wall?

If so, and if your area is prone to freezing, either find a new location for the valve, or furr and insulate the wall.

If not prone to freezing, furr out the wall so the valve fits.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

If the valve is inside the wall so that the cover plate will install, then it makes no difference how far it projects out of the plate. I cannot imagine anything that would look more "jury rigged" than a stainless steel box on the shower's wall, with the valve sticking out of it.

Mr. Fixit

Reaction score
HJ,

I have the exact same situation: Big thermostatic valve on a block and furring strip wall. I don't want to build out the wall as it's a small shower and I think it would look funny with a box or such framed out in what will eventually be tile.

Am I asking for trouble to make the "big hole" in the wall or should I try to find a valve that will fit?

IMG_2885.JPG
IMG_2886.JPG

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
thats a fun one

you need to get a good quality valve like DELTA 1700

with solder fitting ends instead of male adapters screwed into the valve,,,

this makes the Delta far smaller in size than that dog you are trying

to get into that wall

it does look pretty mean whatever you do

I wouild be chargeing you about $600 for that job.

if you do open up one block , then you are

going to have to make some tight turns and welds....

it would work out ok....and Delta is more forgiveing.........

as long as you are sure of your soldering abilities..

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

It appears that you have 3/4" furring stips on the wall, so no valve is going to work without some modifiction. I would make a hole in the wall from what I see there, but that would depend on other factors. The alternative is to either furr the entire wall with 2 X materials, or have an offset in the wall at the shower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks