help! wax ring question

Users who are viewing this thread

hmarshallbooth

Reaction score
I believe that there are mold problems within my apartment. There is a graying area under the tile near my toilet that is growing. I had my maintenance fella come and take a look; he changed the wax ring for me. There was quite a bit of black substance around the wax ring area and for some reason the wax ring literally melted when set down, prior to the toilet being replaced. Can you please tell me if this is normal for the wax ring to just "melt"? I ask because I have been having some health problems and am concerned about the potential mold lingering underneath; I am clueless but also trying to to assume too much. Thanks for any feedback or guidance.

My photo file is too big to attach to this post, but if you would like it emailed to comment, please let me know.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If the guy placed a wax ring on the flange and it melted there must be a heat sourse for that to happen. I have never seen that B4. If it did melt then the ring would not be doing it's job as it must remain between the toilet and the flange.

Did the new ring melt or was it just plyable, or were you talking about the old ring being melted.

hmarshallbooth

Reaction score
it appeared

to melt. To be specific, I went in to take a photo as he placed it down, it was a perfect circle. I went back in about 10 minutes later and one side was basically gone and the rest no longer a solid material.

Thanks to Cass for the comment.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does a hot water, steam, or heat duct run near the toilet? Do you have in-floor heat?

hmarshallbooth

Reaction score
here's the cropped picture

This is after 10 minutes, not knowing for certain if he placed the toilet down or not.

Attachments

• IMG_7219.jpg
    IMG_7219.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 464

hmarshallbooth

Reaction score
this was it ten minutes before

when he first set it down.

Attachments

• IMG_7217.JPG
    IMG_7217.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 439

hmarshallbooth

Reaction score
jadnashua...

We definitely do not have heated floors and there is no warmth surrounding the area that I notice.

Thanks for your questions.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
While it does appear to have melted it looks like the toilet was set on the ring. If he pulled the toilet up he should have cleaned the ring off the flange and replaced it with a new one. Do you know if he did?

It also appears that the wax only stuck to a small portion of the bottom of the toilet.

Last edited:

hmarshallbooth

Reaction score
I am not certain what he did in there.

Once I asked if I could take a picture, you can see that he moved his arm in the way so that you could not see the whole region under the toilet. Whether or not that was deliberate, I do not know. It is a small bathroom so the second picture was taken when he went to his car. I am assuming he got another wax ring, but as I meant to say in the first posting, I am trying to NOT assume since I know so little about all of this.

I do not expect any of you to know what he did, I am simply hoping you may have information/ suggestions based upon the pictures. Cass, does it look like a heat source problem to you?

Also, I can tell you that the graying area has spread over 2 inches since his visit yesterday.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
seal

Everything that I see looks perfectly normal for a toilet seal that didn't stick to the base.

I've always thought that the discoloration is in a direct relationship to how long the seal has been leaking...black and grey

clean up the bottom side real good with hot water and soap and let it dry then check to see if some of the old wax sticks. And if it does, then make the area that sits on the ring real tacky before sitting it on a new seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks