Woodford Model 17 Faucet Leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

adl9413

Reaction score
I have a Woodford Model 17 faucet and is leaking when I hook a hose to it. It inside the wall therefore, I am not sure why's or where it's leaking. Can you tell me what or why it'd I am seeing this leak?

Thanks,
Albert

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Hose bibb is defective. Somewhere at some point a hose was left on it during the winter/freezing months possibly and water could not escape the faucet, thus the reason it froze and broke.

When you take that faucet out, 2-3" behind that brass spigot you will find a belly in the copper where it bulged out and broke.

Replacement is the only way to go; the only prevention is having nothing attached to that faucet so it can drain. Otherwise it loses its protective features altogether.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
RUGGED said:
Hose bibb is defective. Somewhere at some point a hose was left on it during the winter/freezing months possibly and water could not escape the faucet, thus the reason it froze and broke.

When you take that faucet out, 2-3" behind that brass spigot you will find a belly in the copper where it bulged out and broke.

Replacement is the only way to go; the only prevention is having nothing attached to that faucet so it can drain. Otherwise it loses its protective features altogether.

Woodford makes this now

https://www.buywcm.com/egl/products/group.asp?pgn=19

adl9413

Reaction score
First of all thanks for your quick replied. I am a rookie at this and faucet is mounted onto a brick wall, do I have to remove the brick in order to fix or replace the the damaged component?

Again, Thanks for your explanation.

RUGGED said:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
No.

You need to get to it in the basement or crawlspace.

If you are on a slab you will have to cut the wall where it is located in the house in order to replace it.

Do you know how to sweat copper?

adl9413

Reaction score
Once again Thanks for your replied. No, I don't know how to sweat copper.

Cass said:
No.

You need to get to it in the basement or crawlspace.

If you are on a slab you will have to cut the wall where it is located in the house in order to replace it.

Do you know how to sweat copper?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
What better time to learn?

adl9413 said:
Once again Thanks for your replied. No, I don't know how to sweat copper.

All you need is a torch, pipe & fitting cleaning brushes, flux, solder, a supportive spouse, and a fire extinguisher, and you're good to go. OTOH, if this is likely to be the only joint you'll sweat in your life, call a plumber. If you promise not to help, he may let you watch, and if he's really a good guy he'll give you a running commentary on what he's doing, which will probably make you happy you called him.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks