(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Woodford Model 17 Faucet Leaking

  1. #1

    Default Woodford Model 17 Faucet Leaking

    I have a Woodford Model 17 faucet and is leaking when I hook a hose to it. It inside the wall therefore, I am not sure why's or where it's leaking. Can you tell me what or why it'd I am seeing this leak?

    Thanks,
    Albert

  2. #2
    Master Plumber Dunbar Plumbing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
    Posts
    2,943

    Default

    Hose bibb is defective. Somewhere at some point a hose was left on it during the winter/freezing months possibly and water could not escape the faucet, thus the reason it froze and broke.

    When you take that faucet out, 2-3" behind that brass spigot you will find a belly in the copper where it bulged out and broke.

    Replacement is the only way to go; the only prevention is having nothing attached to that faucet so it can drain. Otherwise it loses its protective features altogether.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

  3. #3
    Plumber Cass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RUGGED
    Hose bibb is defective. Somewhere at some point a hose was left on it during the winter/freezing months possibly and water could not escape the faucet, thus the reason it froze and broke.

    When you take that faucet out, 2-3" behind that brass spigot you will find a belly in the copper where it bulged out and broke.

    Replacement is the only way to go; the only prevention is having nothing attached to that faucet so it can drain. Otherwise it loses its protective features altogether.

    Woodford makes this now

    https://www.buywcm.com/egl/products/group.asp?pgn=19

  4. #4

    Default

    First of all thanks for your quick replied. I am a rookie at this and faucet is mounted onto a brick wall, do I have to remove the brick in order to fix or replace the the damaged component?

    Again, Thanks for your explanation.


    Quote Originally Posted by RUGGED
    Hose bibb is defective. Somewhere at some point a hose was left on it during the winter/freezing months possibly and water could not escape the faucet, thus the reason it froze and broke.

    When you take that faucet out, 2-3" behind that brass spigot you will find a belly in the copper where it bulged out and broke.

    Replacement is the only way to go; the only prevention is having nothing attached to that faucet so it can drain. Otherwise it loses its protective features altogether.

  5. #5
    Plumber Cass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,984

    Default

    No.

    You need to get to it in the basement or crawlspace.

    If you are on a slab you will have to cut the wall where it is located in the house in order to replace it.

    Do you know how to sweat copper?

  6. #6

    Default

    Once again Thanks for your replied. No, I don't know how to sweat copper.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cass
    No.

    You need to get to it in the basement or crawlspace.

    If you are on a slab you will have to cut the wall where it is located in the house in order to replace it.

    Do you know how to sweat copper?

  7. #7
    Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,685

    Default What better time to learn?

    Quote Originally Posted by adl9413
    Once again Thanks for your replied. No, I don't know how to sweat copper.
    All you need is a torch, pipe & fitting cleaning brushes, flux, solder, a supportive spouse, and a fire extinguisher, and you're good to go. OTOH, if this is likely to be the only joint you'll sweat in your life, call a plumber. If you promise not to help, he may let you watch, and if he's really a good guy he'll give you a running commentary on what he's doing, which will probably make you happy you called him.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •