(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: New water softener

Default New water softener

Newbie here. I noticed a few posts on water softeners and figured that this was the place to post my question.

I need/want a new softener. I believe that the one that I have is original to the house and that would make it about 25 yrs. old.

A few years ago I installed a Kinetico greensand filter ahead of the softener to combat an iron problem and it is still working fine. The pressure tank is a few years old and I installed a new pump last year. All tests point to the ancient softener and it's not using much (if any) salt. I fugure that I'm due for a new one.

The question is, what is a good brand/model without breaking the bank? They are discussing putting us on city water in the next few years so I don't think that I need the best at this point. Can you guys/ gals help an old dude out?

If the county water you get in a few years is hard you may as well get the good softener now. Clack is the best from what I have heard with Fleck and Autotroll next. I like Autotroll.

The Clack WS-1 control valve is the best for a DIYer that will replace a part if needed. It also is the best quality, and IMO the quality of the valve dictates the length of service free operation of the softener. To learn how to correctly size a softener.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Thanks for the replies, anything else that I need to know before going hunting? Ol'#2 is set on going to the box stores, what are your opinions on their products?

The big box store brands usually break in 2-6 years. then they are usually fixed once or twice and then replaced with a softener with a higher quality control valve, like the Clack WS-1. I think it is the best choice for a DIYer. It only has 4 wearable parts and does not require special tools to repair it as Fleck controls do yet it is the same piston, seals and spacers design.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.