control plate

Users who are viewing this thread

Richmond Bob

Reaction score
HI My daughter has a home built in 1987 in Michigan.
The shower stall has only one control valve Pull for water on, water hot R water cold L. Everrything works fine except the clear plastic handle is cruddy upunder the plastic also the large round plate is flacking the chrome off. She asked if I would replace it.
I loosened the two screws going through the plate. and this is as far as I can
get, nothing else moves? Now there is no shut off valve for the water supply so I'm assuming this is one of those intergrated systems. I just want to replace the chrome ring and the clear plastic handle. any help out there.
Richmond bob :confused: :confused:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a Moen shower, and parts are readily available. The handle is removed by taking out a screw which is right in the middle, under the plastic cap. There are 3 or 4 slightly different Moen escutcheon plates, so just take the old one with you to the store. You can remove the handle and the plate without turning off the main water.

sphynx

Reaction score
control plate 2

Richmond Bob said:
HI My daughter has a home built in 1987 in Michigan.
The shower stall has only one control valve Pull for water on, water hot R water cold L. Everrything works fine except the clear plastic handle is cruddy upunder the plastic also the large round plate is flacking the chrome off. She asked if I would replace it.
I loosened the two screws going through the plate. and this is as far as I can
get, nothing else moves? Now there is no shut off valve for the water supply so I'm assuming this is one of those intergrated systems. I just want to replace the chrome ring and the clear plastic handle. any help out there.
Richmond bob :confused: :confused:

Same problem here, a price pfister plate with two screws, the thing won't budge, managed to insert a putty knife between the acrylic and chrome ring but it won't move. the plate "snaps back"...what gives??

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are several styles...one shown below

Attachments

• 98039.jpeg
    98039.jpeg
    3.7 KB · Views: 300

sphynx

Reaction score
The problem is not getting the knob off, we got pass that part.

The problem is getting the silver plate off the shower wall. I tought that all I had to do was to unscrew the two screws and the plate would follow. The plate is stuck to the acrylic shower wall.

Could it be that behind that plate is some kind of adhesive?

What would be the safest way to pry the thing off without damaging the shower wall??

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Whoever installed it may have used caulk behind it. Got any fishing line? Run it behind the plate and see if it will saw through the stuff. Maybe some buttonhole thread would work, too. Probably some otherstuff as well.

sphynx

Reaction score
jadnashua said:
Whoever installed it may have used caulk behind it. Got any fishing line? Run it behind the plate and see if it will saw through the stuff. Maybe some buttonhole thread would work, too. Probably some otherstuff as well.

Update;
The fishing line was a good idea, but didn't work (kept breaking). I greased a putty knife and went at it behind the plate. Turns out the back of the plate was glued with silicone. Took me about 15 mins with the putty knife to cut the silicone. Thanks all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks