WellXTroll Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

scrtchglf

Reaction score
Had my pump replaced last October or so. At that time my well guy check my Tanks and they were both at about 15lbs. He indicated that it may have been the reason for the pump failure. Just drained the system and boosted them back to 32lbs, they were down again...Bottom line is I'm going to replace my 2 inline tanks with a single. I'm having irrigation put in for my grass and was looking for advice on the sizing of the new tank. When my well was installed 8 years ago I was told it was making 8gpm. The irrigation guy had it making 8gpm at the spigot..... Thoughts.... Thanks. Paul

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to check the flow while watching the pressure gauge to determine the flow rate while the pressure is steady (no water being added to the tanks).

When you are satisfied that you know the pump rate, I would get a tank with a real volume about 5 times the rate of the pump. That would be about a 40 gallon tank. With pressure switch settings of 30 to 50 psi it will take about 100 seconds of pumping to fill the tank. That is a reasonable cycle and will give you longer cycle times when you are irrigating.

If you are going to irrigate with your well, you need to have some idea about the well capacity. One inch of water on 10,000 square feet = about 6200 gallons.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Checking water at a spigot is telling you how much water can come from the Spigot. Not how much the pump can produce. The only way to know for sure is to disconnect the pump at the top of the well and run it wide open for a while to let the drawdown level off then measure the flow. You can tell exactly how much you have to run the sprinklers by pressuring it up to 30/40 pounds then measuring the flow with a 5 gallon bucket.

Bigger is always better with tanks, for pump motor protection. Or you can go with the Smart Tee.

bob...

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
"You need to check the flow while watching the pressure gauge to determine the flow rate while the pressure is steady (no water being added to the tanks)."

"Checking water at a spigot is telling you how much water can come from the Spigot. Not how much the pump can produce."

Checking the flow rate at the spigot while the pressure is steady, which will occur only when there is no water being added to or withdrawn from the tank, tells you what the pump capacity is at the operating pressure. That is the useful capacity of the pump, and the capacity that is important when sizing the tank. The spigot must be adjusted to maintain the steady pressure. If it is not big enough to keep the pressure from rising, then more spigots must be opened and the total flow rate measured at all of them.

Open discharge tests are useful when testing the capacity of the well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks