Retrofit of Rear Outlet Toilet - Lay Person's Experience

Users who are viewing this thread

parump

Reaction score
After installing two Toto Aquia's with excellent results, I have been mulling over the options for a 1953 rear outlet Eljer toilet. The only low flow option is Kohler Barrington Lite with a Flushmate system at a price greater than $600. I think that converting the bathroom from a rear outlet to a traditional one would be very expensive. Also, a Flushmate system in this bathroom would be audible throughout the entire house.

I elected to retrofit the Eljer with a Korky fill valve and a Mansfield flush (vertical) valve. In general, I have found flapper valves to be problematic and the chain sometimes becomes kinked and prevents proper valve closure. I used a "tie" to secure the tank lever to the valve plunger. This arrangement has enabled us to reduce the flush volume with a quiet, trouble free operation.

In addition, I also replaced the wall compression stop valve with a quarter turn ball valve.

A couple of questions -

Should teflon tape be avoided with compression fittings to avoid over tightening and leaks?

If the ferrule cannot be removed without the proper pulling tool, is reuse of the original acceptable if there are no leaks?

Also, any comments are welcome . . .

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Tape is not appropriate on compression fittings. The seal is made by the metal-to-metal contact of the ferrule with the socket. Tape can interfere with that. Most plumbers liket to use a little lubrication. I like teflon paste, applied sparingly. Plumbers grease is good, and the most popular is probably a drop of 3 in one oil, on ferrule and threads. All of these reduce shear stress on the metal parts, and make future disassembly easier.

It is quite common to reuse the ferrule. If it tightens up nicely with no feelng that you have to overtorque it, and if it doesn't drip, I see no reason it will not last the life of the valve.

Have you looked at the American Standard Yorkville...floor mount rear discharge? It is pressure assist, but these are a little quiter than they used to be. Should be able to pick one up in the $550 range.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Gerber also makes a rear outlet toilet, it too comes with the Flushmate.

It's hard to find a rear outlet, floor toilet without the Flushmate.
Briggs makes one, with the Vacuity tank.

parump

Reaction score
Jimbo and Terry,

Thank you for the replies and the excellent website! I appreciate the advice and comments.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ferrule

All ferrules can be removed unless the tubing is badly deformed in which case nothing will reseal at that point, therefore the real question is, "If the existing ferrule cannot be reused, should it be removed and a new one used."

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks