greenboard and hardiboard issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob Affleck

Reaction score
I am remodeling my bathroom and I have installed hardibacker in the tub and shower areas and greenboard everywhere else. I have been told too many different things on how to finish the joint between the hardibacker and the greenboard. Do I use tape and joint compound or do I use fiberglass mesh and thinset?
My next issue is: I am tileing on both the hardibacker and the greenboard. Do I have to use mastic on the greenboard and thinset on the hardibacker? My project is at a stand still until I find out. Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Best advice is to visit our friends at the tile forum, www.johnbridge.com They are really good.

Just for discussion, I would offer that there is not necessarily one right answer. I would use mesh tape and waterproof joint compound. You may be able to use regular tape and joint compound. I would not use thinset.

I believe that for areas not actually in the shower, you can use mastic or thinset on greenboard or hardibacker.

That's my two cents. Check the forum I mentioned for more complete advice.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Thinset will work fine on the junction of the cbu and greenboard. If the seam will be entirely underneath the tile, treat it just like you would a cbu/cbu seam.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Vapor barrier behind the wet areas?

Bob

What waterproofing did you put behind the wet area? Better put a liquid membrane now if you have nothing yet. Redgard and Laticrete 9235 are known to be good.

Thinset is a must in wet areas. Works well everywhere else too. Mastic is an optin in dry areas.

David

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks