How Lock Out Supply Valve for Winter (Rental)

Users who are viewing this thread

Sparking5

Electrician, JIW
Reaction score
Hi!

I have an uderground sprinkler system at a rental I own. After I winterize, I would like to have a way to prevent an accidentily turn on (ball valve) by a tenant, guest..adult or kid. I usually taped it off, leave a note "Leave off" and unplug controller.

It is not directly against wall so can see buildiing a box. Maybe there is a way to put a padlock on it or eaily remove handle. (Tho I could easily lose the handle). :)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Bye

I might have a photo

Sparking5

Electrician, JIW
Reaction score
Not a good photo cause the supply valve is still "bagged" from winter. The red gate or globe is inlet for blowing.

I'll try to get a new photo since I just turned it on yesterday.

I tried cable ties one year.

From seeing the photo, Icould clean the area up some by losing about 10'+ of cord on controller (Rainbird). I had pulled back the foam insulation to check for leaks and replace pressure tank next to it.

Attachments

• P1010015.JPG
    P1010015.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Get a small chain and slide through 1 of the holes in the handle and then loop around the pipe and install a padlock.

Take the handle off and put a peice of string through the handle hole and tie it to a shutoff under some sink so you don't loose it.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

It would be an unusual gate valve, and the one in the picture does not appear to be one of the better brands, that does not leak even when turned off. A chain around the pipe with a padlock through the opening in the handle may be your best option. But you are stressing our sensibilities with that PVC pipe inside the house.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might open the valve to that air connection, and even run it to a convenient sink, so any leak at the valve will be drained before it goes outside where it will freeze.

Sparking5

Electrician, JIW
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. I should take a new picture to show the valve I am taling about. It is a 1/4 turn ball valve (hiddened under the clear Lowe's bag).

The red handled globe or gate is for air to blow.

This duplex was owner built in 1992. At that time and for years I believed that PVC is used to cold supply and CPVC was used for hot. Since then I have heard all should be CPVC.

The piping in the pics is irrigation system and the vertical is outgoing from sump pump.

What's the PVC rules, for future reference?

Thanks Again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks