Stainless Steel Custom Fabricated Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris_G

Reaction score

Endorsement of
Metal Kitchen Fabricators, Inc.

I recently had a custom stainless steel kitchen sink fabricated and I would like to share the experience, and the fabricator, with you.

Because we are dealing with a small Manhattan kitchen, to maximize space we are using a Fisher & Paykel DishDrawer dishwasher, installed below, with a sink above it. The tricky part is, in order to stack them, the sink drain has to be in the back corner. The only off the shelf sinks with a corner drain are small bar size sinks. Therefore the project necessitated a custom fabrication.

At first I only bid this job locally, here in New York City, and the quotes I received were astronomical ($2000+). I then decided to place bids nationally. Being a small item, a single custom kitchen sink, I didn't know how many fabricators would even be interested. Because of this I wanted a broad sampling. Over two days I sent RFQs out to 16 fabricators across the country. Of those, half either didn't reply, or were simply not interested in my small job. Metal Kitchen Fabricators of Houston was the very first to reply with a bid. They offered the shortest turn-around time, and were one of the top two in price. The only fabricator that bettered their price, only beat it by less than $15, and took weeks to get back to me with their quote. By that time MKF had already completed the job, and was ready to ship! The other fabricator also wanted three months turn around time (I found that two or even three months was typical turn around time for a custom sink).

The final price was $306.00 + $99.00 to crate and ship to NYC. Even with shipping, their price was lower than most designers sinks!

Now that it has arrived, I have examined the sink, and the craftsmanship is first rate. It was also packaged quite well.

Furthermore, both over the phone and via email, their customer service was always courteous and prompt.

Here is a link to the PDF that I provided with my RFQ:
kitchen_sink.pdf

Here is the completed sink (with a white protective film in bottom)
my_sink.jpg

Located in Houston, I understand that their primary source of business is building large professional kitchens for oil drilling platforms, and oil tankers. I've included in the follow post, four photos of some of their sample work that they provided to me.

I would like to recommend them to others. I cannot say enough good things about them. Here is their information:

Metal Kitchen Fabricators, Inc.
5121 April Lane
Houston, TX 77092-3402

Phone (713) 683-8375
Fax (713) 683-8378

You could also tell them Chris G., from New York City, referred you.

cheers,
Chris

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
not too bad looking

that is not a bad price for what you had specially made....

and it looks good enough to fool any pickey New Yorker Milionairre.

the only thing I dont like about it is the tight corners in the bottom of the
sink. They will eventually become hard to clean the dirt out of them....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks