Bath tub clogged

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Bath tub clogged for 24 hours. Standing water removed. Tried plunger then 2 applications of Red Devil Lye with no success yesterday.

I'm thinking about just buying an inexpensive snake at local big box or renting one from my the hardware store. (brand recommendation?)

Do I neutralize the lye and with what?

Drain likely clogged with cotton mop strands.

Is there an easier method or am I on the right track here......?

Have very little experience as the plumbing Gods have been good to me over the years. I'd like to handle this myself.

Last edited:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
plug

Keep the darned lye out of your drains. IT REALLY DOESN'T DO ANY GOOD, YET CAUSES OTHER PROBLEMS,

Now someone has to deal with the chemical. (it's not magic!).........

The drain needs to be cleaned out with a good electric snake......

Hope that's emphatic enough.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Chemicals seldom clear a clogged drain. Sometimes if it's just soap scuz and hair in the trap they will open, but usually chemicals just create a hazzard for the person who eventually will have to snake the drain. The DIY snakes also are too little to open a clog. They often just push the clog deeper and tighter. Contact a plumber who can professionally auger the drain. Tell him what you put in, how much, and when.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
OK I hear you loud and clear.
I suspected that the consumer snakes were not effective and I will pass on buying one.
thanks..

Mike

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Lye is a base, sodium hydroxide, so to neutralize it you need acid. Muriatic acid is HCl. The problem is to get it into the pipe that contains the lye.

Na + OH + H + Cl --> NaCl + H2O

You might try a couple of gallons of vinegar that might be safer.

If you can get a little through it, put the vinegar in the tub and hope it drains down overnight.

To snake a tub you need to go through the overflow device. Unscrew the cap and work through that hole. If you are lucky, you might be able to pull the stuff out if it is in the tub trap. Even a thin-wire coat hanger wire with a little hook on the end might drag something out of the trap.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A $25 hand snake will pull out a lot of hair, if that's what is blocking it.

power_spin.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks