Shower diverter with no removeable seat

Users who are viewing this thread

hugscot

Reaction score
I have a shower diverter valve that pours water out the tub spout when the shower is engaged. So I pulled out the diverter valve to replace the all the washers/o rings but their does not appear to be a removeable seat. Also the washer did not appear to be damaged and the valve appears to be ok. I also replaced the hot and cold washers and seats, which are removable. I thought that the diverter should also have a seat that comes out. Is this normal and what can I do to stop the the water from coming out the spout when the shower is on?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Take the diverter stem out again and look at it again. There is probably a washer on the end of the stem, but hold the whole assembly in one hand and with the handle holding the stem, turn the handle backwards and note where it seats itself when it's all of the way back. Some times it's brass to brass beveled surfaces and sometimes its with a washer of some sort. Or the washer could be missing.

You say the end washer looks good then there has to be a seating surface.

What is the brand of faucet and how old is it?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The rubber washer on the end of the stem seats when you turn the handle CW, to block the shower head and direct flow to the spout. Your problem is the back seat. In Price Pfister and some others, there is a white nylon back-seat washer. It often breaks. You may find chunks of it inside the vlave body.

hugscot

Reaction score
I can't find any markings on the parts I can see to tell what brand it is. House was built in mid 70's so I assume from the looks it is original. I can see inside where the diverter valve appears to be seating against the back because it looks brighter than the rest of the brass, however, it does not appear to be a removeable type seat like on the hot and cold valve, meaning nothing for the faucet seat wrench to grap just a round hole with no obvious threads like one might have been there before. Is it possible to have removeable ones on hot and cold but not on the diverter?

When I turn valve CW shower turns off and water goes to spout. When turned CCW I get some water from shower although not great but still large amount coming out the spout also which is the part that puzzles me.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
"When I turn valve CW shower turns off and water goes to spout. When turned CCW I get some water from shower although not great but still large amount coming out the spout also which is the part that puzzles me."

As we have already mentioned, you have a backseat issue. If you could post a picture of the handles, it will help us.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks