(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Different pump.

Hybrid View

Default Different pump.

Have a shallow well with 1" suction line. Too small for my pump which has a 1 1/2" inlet. I found a Dayton D2803 cast iron 1 HP pump with 1" inlet and outlet. Couldn't find a spec for gpm on it, but wondering if that might do the trick for a sprinkler system. Thanks.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...mId=1613552126

The Dayton D2803 is a shallow well jet pump that should work. It is rated to deliver 9 GPM at 40 psi with 15 ft depth to water. If the link doesn't work, go to the Grainger site and search on keyword D2803.

Thanks Bob. That's where I saw it. Only one I've seen with the 1" inlet. I have a flotec 1 1/2 HP sprinkler pump at the moment and am only getting like 20 psi.

I'd be pretty hesitant to make that call without knowing what the demand of the sprinkler system is.
    Ron

"I'd be pretty hesitant to make that call without knowing what the demand of the sprinkler system is."

The pump will work and presumably deliver the specified performance. The sprinkler has to be adjusted to the pump.

Many "sprinkler" pumps are small centrifugals that deliver a lot of flow but don't deliver a lot of pressure. They are usually set up to deliver water to the sprinkler system without maintaining pressure.

Whenever someone wants to use an existing pump, the FIRST thing they should do is find the model and determine the performance characteristics specified by the manufacturer. Just knowing the horsepower and pipe size doesn't give you the information you need to put it into a working system.

The SECOND thing to do is to measure the performance (GPM at pressure, at suction depth) to see if it matches the specifications. That will tell them if the pump is working as it should or if it needs maintenance.

The THIRD thing to do is design the water demand system to match the operating point of the pump. The flow must be restricted at the sprinkler to allow the pump to deliver enough pressure to achieve the required sprinkler range.

Previous member

I hope your not trying to explain that to Ron are you Bob?

bob...